1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Equivalent From DVD' Player

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ChalkyCardiff, Sep 6, 2004.

1. ChalkyCardiff

ChalkyCardiff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anyone know what the DV78 & 79 are equivalent to with regards CD replay? i.e cd72, cd73 etc......?

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    DV78 and DV79 are roughly equivalent to the CD73 in the current Arcam line up. There is a modification available for the DV78 and DV79 which reduces noise and brings performance up towards the CD82, speak to your local dealer about it, I think our rep called it, don't laugh, the "Ring of Silence".

3. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I just bought a CD33 and I can tell virtually zero difference between it and my DV79 when connected to my processor via digital out. Another forum member pointed something similar out to me as well.

Either all this model business is a load of bull**** or my ears have gone belly up :D . TBH its probably my ears as I think that my Yamaha mini system sounds pretty good with CD's as well........

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Yep, it's your ears Ragsy :D

Out of interest, did you do a test using the analogue outs of both CD33 & DV79?

Adz

5. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I thought so :laugh: . I know it sounds strange but I really cant tell the difference or whether one categorically sounds better than the other.

I didnt try the analogue out on the CD player. To much hassle - waiting for my C2 to arrive back. Given that I cant tell the difference the CD33 is going to my brother in law as a 40th birthday present who is more of a stereo nut and will appreciate it a lot more than me.

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    What's up with your C2 mate?

Analogue performance of the CD33 is v.good :)

Adz

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    I can't believe you haven't hooked up the CD33 with the analogue outputs, a lot of your money for that player has gone into the DAC and output stages. Hook up the CD33 to your processor with the analogue connections and then compare it to the digital or analogue ouptuts from the DV79 and might think twice about getting rid of it.

8. Sweden

Sweden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is this modification available for the DV88plus also ? + do you know if 88plus and 79 sound the same as cdplayer ?

9. Brindek

Brindek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I auditioned the DV79 against the CD73 & CD93 on Saturday and I was amazed at what I heard. I expected to be won over by the DV79 as everyone says how good it is with audio, that was until I heard the CD73. I found the detail and timing to be far superior on the CD73 compared with the DV79 and the CD93 took it on another stage.

I took both the DV79 and CD73 home for the weekend for an extended trial and it only confirmed what I had heard in the demo. The DV79 is a great player but doesn't come close enough for CD listening for my tastes.

10. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags

In which case (digital connects) both are using the same DACs (that in the processor) and not those in the individual CDPs - given Arcam transports are probably all the same/very similar your ears are bound to hear a very similar sound :rolleyes: but at least their working (your ears that is) :)

You need to try the analogue out to test if the DAC in the CD33 is the best option (probably should be unless the processors DAC is very good).

That said I demo'd a CD33 and DV78 and DV79 and didn't particularly get impressed over any of them (and I'm an Arcam fan). In fact none sounded sufficiently better than my Arcam 7 to want to spend on em (even with CD33 as an ex dem at £1K) but then nothing I demo'ed did (except for a Cyrus 8).

Andy

11. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any what about a DV27A - what's that sound most like with CD's re Arcams current CD range ? Anyone ?

Cheers