1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Drive.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by martin99, Aug 12, 2005.

1. martin99

martin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

I'm trying to get the best quality music onto my ipod. I'm encoding with Apple Lossless.. via ITunes and the moment, but I'm happy to experiment with other encoders.

My question is does it make much difference what CD drive and sound card I use in my PC?

cheers

Martin

2. Hooters

Hooters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when you rip from a CD the soundcard is not involved in the process at all as the software 'plays' the CD through the IDE/SCSI (i.e. the same path as your hard disk data takes) controller.

As to the actual CD drive, well, I would say no difference at all as the data is digital, however my experience has been that if your CD's are slightly scratched/dirty :eek: then a better drive is faster at reading the data and hence speeds up the ripping process :) .

If the drive can't read the data first time round it will make several passes until it manages to read the correct data so ultimately no, it should make no difference to the final quality of your files what cd drive or soundcard you have in your computer :thumbsup: