1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Copier Vs Dedicated Player

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by SteveClaridge, Jul 26, 2003.

1. SteveClaridge

SteveClaridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to spend about £200 on a CD player, and I was wondering, is there any difference in quality of playback from a CD Copier compared to a dedicated standalone player.

I've been looking at thePIONEER PDR609 CD RECORDER in particular.

I dont really need the CD copier bit, but if it has no real impact on the playback then I might aswell.

Any information / opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

SteveClaridge

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    If you're connecting it digitally to a good AV amp, (therefore by passing the players DAC's) then get the 609.
    On the other hand, if your feeding it into a good stereo amp using the analogue output then I'd say get a better player.

The DAC's have big influence in the sound.
    There's no point spending money on an expensive player with good DAC's if you're not going to use them.

I have a Pio 509 recorder, and connected digitally to my A1SE amplifier the results are as good as my standalone player.
    You'll also have the advantage of being able to play CD's, CD-R's and CD-RW's.

Jules

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmmmm i think Jules' opinion may differ from that of many. I had a phillips recorder a couple of years back and it couldnt even begin to compete with an £80 philips player only machine.

I also might suggest that the recorder may use an inferior transport to a player, not just dacs. In which case even connecting digitally to a processor (which has its own issues) will yield poorer results with the recorder.

If i were you i wouldnt even consider the recorder if you dont need to record. I find that most newer players can cope with most any disc anyhow so this is not an issue.

Ad

4. SteveClaridge

SteveClaridge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies guys.
    The AV amp I'm using is a Pioneer VSX-D710S , incase this makes a difference.

So then, if not the recorder, what else should I buy??
    £200 is about my limit and I really want it to be Pioneer, because everything else is...and I'm shallow like that :)

Also, another question (sorry ;) ) , how would the CD Recorder match up to a DVD player for CD playback. Is there a lot of difference? I'm using a DVD player at the moment, and as you may guess it sounds horrible :(

SteveClaridge

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i dont know the piooneer range so i cant say what player specifically. But i would guess that dvd player and cd copier would have not dis similar cd performance.

Ad

6. KJ_Palmer

KJ_Palmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Pioneer PDR-609 isn't a bad player at all. Admittedly, it won't outshine a £200+ dedicated player, but it won't be shamed by a decent budget CD player either, or most DVD players for that matter. Having said that, I only use mine for recording duties...