1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Burning question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Frazal666, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanted to ask if burning to CD at a slower speed will improve the quility of the sound. I burn MP3's at 52x on CD-RW. Will it make a difference to burn at 1x speed? Also, does burning on a re-writable CD degrade the sound? Like if I use CD-R, will it make any differance? I have no CD's on me to try, so I thought Id ask. Thanks.

2. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    there "can" be a difference with burning at slower speeds but more important is the source you are burning
    mp3 convrerted back to wav and burnt as an audio cd onto a branded disk at 16x or less is ideal

if your copying an original music cd the speed it is read is important more so in my opinion than the speed it is written back to cdr

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets say 128KBPS, 192, 256 and 320. Which would have the most effect on burning slower.

4. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    none
    if i am not mistaken you are talking about burning an mp3 onto cd as an mp3 yes

it would make no difference what the compression / sample rate of the mp3 is

if losing data is a problem that would be the quality of the disk which in a way is related to the speed it is written ( a low quality disk will not stand a high speed burn ) and would make the disk unreadable at worst and suffer from read errors at best but none of this would effect the quality of an mp3 which can be read successfully

audio is a different kettle of fish
    if an audio cd is read in to quickly i have heard noise introduced because of this and this shows badly once it is rewritten to an audio cd-r

5. JH1

JH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My understanding is that it won't necessarily improve the sound quality if you burn at a slower speed. The information you burn to the disc is the same. What it will do is allow your cd writer to write more accurately with less liklehood of there being any errors on the disc. Sometimes if you burn discs at high speed it can cause errors, even to the point where the disc just won't play.

6. Commited

Commited

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mp3s burned on CD arent ever going to sound great so just use highest bitrate and highest speed - no point waiting around!