CD - Better or worse on SACD Player?

hunkiemunkey

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking to buy a stand-alone CD player becuase my DVD player (Samsung 511) isn't exactly brilliant at playing CD's!

I am looking at either the Sony SCDXE670 (£129) which plays SACD's or the Sony CDPXE570 (£95) which doesn't.

Will the 670 play regular CD's "better" then the 570 or will they be the same? I think the 570 could have better sound because it has less circuits; less interference, etc. And how do SACD's sound on the 670?

Does anybody have any experience on either of these units?

And lastly, how big a jump will the sound quality be from the DVD player to the CD player?

Thanks

John:rolleyes:

Originally posted by hunkiemunkey

And lastly, how big a jump will the sound quality be from the DVD player to the CD player?

Thanks

John:rolleyes:

SHOULD be a big jump. Lower end dvd players tend to be very poor cd players.

ad

Get the 670, and then upgrade it later using an offboard DAC, which should dramatically improve the sound quality of both SACD and CD.

Hi,

where are you getting that for £129?????

Thanks

Dave

Richer Sounds, £119 in black, and £129 in silver.

What do you think of it?

John

Cool,

Not sure myself, never heard it. Just my current Sony CD player is a bit knackered and I could do with a new one :)

Dave

pbirkett wrote:

"Get the 670, and then upgrade it later using an offboard DAC, which should dramatically improve the sound quality of both SACD and CD."

No SACD player, aside from a few esoteric models costing tens of thousands of pounds, can output DSD digitally, so an outboard DAC will do nothing for SACD playback.

In my experience, unless you pay a fairly sizable amount, SACD players make terrible CD players. Mine certainly does.

Stuart M. Robinson
SMR Group - http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

Originally posted by Stuart M. Robinson
pbirkett wrote:

"Get the 670, and then upgrade it later using an offboard DAC, which should dramatically improve the sound quality of both SACD and CD."

No SACD player, aside from a few esoteric models costing tens of thousands of pounds, can output DSD digitally, so an outboard DAC will do nothing for SACD playback.

Stuart M. Robinson
SMR Group - http://www.smr-group.co.uk/

I stand corrected then :)

...you could always go for a Marantz SA-1...

I personally prefer it for CDs against a LinnCD12 with Chord Dac64 for CDs...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom