Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

CD audio vs 5.1 audio headaches!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by dcjarvis, Jul 9, 2005.

1. dcjarvis

dcjarvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all

Having problems sorting out how I'm gonna get shiny new 5.1 home cinema into my house. Wondering if anyone can help...

I have a great Rotel pre/power amp set up and Arcam CD player that I want to keep for playing CDs on my Mission speakers.

All I want to add is a cheapish Yamaha receiver, DVD player and centre and surround speakers.

However, I don't want to replace the Missions so they need to stay as my stereo speakers for playing CDs, while being used as the front speakers when playing DVDs etc.

I've been scratching my head trying to work out how to do this!

When playing DVDs I realise I can take an audio out from the new Yahama amp to the Rotel one, but won't this signal not be separated for the front speakers??

And it wouldn't be sensible to wire the Mission speakers into BOTH the New Yamaha and existing Rotel amps - I'd probably blow them up!

Any help much appreciated...

2. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I think this will answer your question. I have a pioneer AV amp which drives my rear speakers, center and sub, there is a preout on this amp that allows me to connect a stereo amp (A-400 in my case) which drives the front speakers.

As long as your AV amp has a preout connection for the front speakers then connecting a secondary amplifier for music is easy, the AV amp will split the signals as required, so don't worry about that.

Also, on my pioneer AV amp I can set it to play "direct" stereo sound which disables the surround speakers, your yamaha should have something similar I would have thought.

Hope that helps :smashin:

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thats right, just set the amp to stereo and the cd signal will be passed through to the rotel.