CD-73T vs AVP-700 via digital input.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Jack Dotson, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone own this combination? I love the sound of my 700 and it beast the crap out of my two DVDP for redbook CD playback via digital cable.

Got me wanting to upgrade my CDP, but I don't want a model that does upsampling, and the 192 is almost out of my price range to start with.

So I was curious if I would get improved performance with the CD-73T or if it basically sounds about the same as the 700.

BTW, also considering the new Rega Apollo and Naim CD5i (also at the very top of my budget). Comments or observations about this decks is also welcomed, especially how thy compare to the 73.

Thanks.

No dealer in my area, so I have to rely on those who have access.

2. Tamas

Tamas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    :hiya: I would like to hear responses to this from others as well on this matter.

3. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have a AVR300 and CD73T. I love the Stereo Direct sound of the AVR300 which bypasses and unpowers all digital circuitry including DACs in the AVR300. Therefore, even if the DACs of the AVR300 and the CD73T were identical (I believe they are all wolfsen, but not sure which ones), you should still get slightly better sound via analog hookup. Therefore I'd argue, that if you use a CD73T via analog stereo direct, you would hear a noticable improvement in audio. Incidentally, I had my CD73T connected both via digital and via analog connection in two different inputs (there have so many :D ) with Stereo Direct on the analog ones, and while playing a CD I would switch between the digital and analog modes, and I find the analog sound far smoother and transparent. The digital, although louder for some reason, lacks the detail and is on the harsher side. I think all my observation apply to your AVP700.

4. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your impressions are in-line with what I've read from others. It seems a good CDP is still hard to beat and that's the way it should be. I mean afterall, it's designed to play CD's, the pre does all kinds of good stuff.

Anyhow, I took the plunge and ordered a Naim CD5i. It was over twice as expensive, but it's the one I've really been wanting so I figure I'd just get it now and save myslef the upgrade heartache. :suicide:

Thanks for the response.

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    I don't understand the question, you are asking if a CD73 CD Player sounds better than an AVP-700 AV Processor, they are two completely different products. You can compare one CD player with another or one Processor with another but not a CD player with a Processor.

6. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think he was asking whether the sound quality of the dedicated CD player via analog will be better than the sound from his existing dvd player using the AVP700 dacs.

7. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I understand they are two completley different products. Why can't you compare a CDP to a AVP?

I'm talking about taking the anlog output of the CDP and running it through the analog inputs on the processor vs the digital output of a CD/DVDP to the input of the AVP using it for D/A conversion.

I've heard the CD-73T and AVP-700 use the same Wolfson DAC's so I was curious if anyone had compared the difference when using them as described above.

BTW, I currently have two DVDP's (Sony DVP NS999ES, Sherwood SD-860) for my sources. When I use the analog ouputs of these units for red book cd playback, neither sound sound as good as the AVP-700 used via the digital inputs. This is what got me looking for another CDP to start with.

Anyhow, mute point as I have placed a Naim CD5i on order.

I would still like to hear from anyone that has the 700/73 combo just to hear their opinion. And, when I get my Naim I'll also let you know how it compares to the 700.

8. Exirion

Exirion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I own an AVP700 and a CD73 CD-player. First of all, it's not true that they use the same DACs. The CD73 uses the Wolfson 8740 DACs and the AVP700 uses the Wolfson 8770. The latter is a cheaper integrated solution for multi-channel systems and it includes a volume control circuit.

The CD73 sounds better when you connect it to the AVP700 using the analogue connection. The DACs and analogue circuit of the CD73 are superior to the AVP700's. It's a nice combo by the way :)

9. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for. However, I already bought a Naim CD5i. It's only been in my system for a couple of days and I've not had the chance to do a direct comparison to it and the 700. But, I have to tell you the Naim and Arcam sound are apples to oranges.

I'm not at all sure I wouldn't have like the 73T as good, if not better than the CD5i which cost over twice as much. I'll hold off final judgement until the Naim is run it and I can see what it can do. But, I am absolutely thrilled with the sound of my AVP-700, and as you said these two are probably a good combination.

BTW, anyone know how the 73 compares to the 192? Do they use the same DAC's, etd. Just curious what makes the 192 so much more expensive.

Thanks again.

10. RumNYC

RumNYC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The *only* difference is the DAC board. The 192 uses a 192khz DAC. For about USD1000 you can upgrade a 73 to a 192.

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  12. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, thanks for the info. I bought a Naim CD5i based solely on the recommendation of my dealer and I'm very happy with it. But, the 192T sure looks good and get nothing but rave reviews as well. Sure wish there had been a dealer in my area so that I could have heard one before making my decision.

Thanks again for the article.