CCUK - Family Friendly Big Screen Lounge Build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Ccuk, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Hello all,

New to AV Forums and thought I would share my build with some like minded individuals as it comes along.

Coming to the end of a year long 55m2 house extension, having installed everything from shell I am now onto the fun part!

Recently purchased a 106" screen from another member on here and am building on that really.

With a wife and 3 year old along with another in 2 months time the race is on to create a space that we can all enjoy (and is wife approved / kid friendly!)

I have purchased 3 x Monitor Audio WT150LCR, 4 x CWT140's and a new Denon AVR-X2200W
    Behind the projector screen I will be utilising my old faithful 8000 series 46" Samsung.

I am still undecided on a projector and really need to go and demo some, any recommendations for 4.2m distance, ceiling/top of cupboard use around £500-1000 would be appreciated.

I have started planning on sketchup and will start building the studwork (in blue) this weekend:

IMG_0478.JPG IMG_0479.JPG IMG_0480.JPG Lounge1.png Lounge2.png

Wary of my RR speaker positioning and think I may have to move more towards the seating position as a compromise. Again any suggestions greatly appreciated. (I suppose I could always move the whole setup towards that left hand door aswell? Sofa for illustration purposes only!

Anyway, I'm off to the timber merchants!

2. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    A busy weekend but the studwork is up, along with new doorway through to the utility, all backboxes and trunking in. I'm now ready to run all of my new supplies for both power and lighting, CAT6 (4 going to TV wall, 2 running from that position along with HDMI to projector location (purely as a backup). LCR speaker positions boxed out. As close to edge of projector as possible with tweeters at ear level (L&R). I contemplated running all three on the same vertical level as the centre to get them a bit closer but i'm sure it will be fine.

Backboxes on the main AV wall for the following:
    • 4 x double gang sockets
    • 1 x double brush plate for speaker cables and HDMI/CAT 6 to projector
    • 1 x single brush plate for TV power,HDMI, optical and CAT 6.
    • 1 x double gang for 4 x RJ45 sockets
    • 1 x single gang FSU for projector screen top left.
    A busy week ahead!

• IMG_0494.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

3. oliver0331

oliver0331

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Now then, looks like an awesome project, Any pics of the extension? Also if it was me, have you consider having your corner sofa the other way? Just think it would open the space up better.

4. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    This is the first bit of time I've had to post after a rather busy week!

Agree with the sofa positioning, haven't even bought it yet so we shall see!

Anyway, a few snippets of some of my work so far on the house. Started the build last June, converting a 3 bed semi with a downstairs bathroom into a 4 bed with ensuite and bathroom upstairs, downstairs cloakroom, porch, utility and opened up to give a 5mx5m lounge. Around 12 steels went in. 5m ground floor to the side, 3m upper along with 3m x 5m open plan kitchen diner at the back. The builder constructed the bare block shell and I took over from about October last year with everything apart from plastering. (Electrical & Mechanical engineer by trade) - it has been a hard slog but very rewarding and I'm nearly there!

IMG_9011.JPG IMG_9013.JPG IMG_9787.JPG

The old Kitchen before knocking through to create the new lounge:

IMG_9541.JPG

So this week I ran all of the necessary lighting and power cables, A/V and network cables. Had an "Insulation" party late Friday night (2 layers of 100mm rockwool in the ceiling) - it was not fun... at all!

IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0531.JPG

Yesterday I held a plasterboarding party! Between myself and 3 friends managed to get the ceiling up (12.5mm soundbloc board)

IMG_0537.JPG

Today I finished off the walls with more rockwool and soundbloc.

IMG_0540.JPG

I have gone for 3 downlighters along what will be a walkway behind the sofa on one circuit (can also be on to relieve strain on the eyes whilst watching tv) and then after much discussion with SWMBO, 2 pendants central (we agreed that downlighters throughout wouldn't look as "homely") - Will be restricted to some low profile fittings under 25cm so as not to interfere with the projector.

Some new goodies have also arrived! (Ex demo 40ES from Richer Sounds, 50 hours on it - £1350 including 6 year warranty so pretty chuffed if I am honest!

IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0509.JPG

Pretty much it for now, ready for the plasterers to come in and work their magic on the 26th (covering up all of my dodgy boarding)

The next few weeks I will be focusing on getting the porch insulated and utility ready for for the plasterers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  5. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Now that the dust has settled I couldn't resist testing out the new projector.

Certainly doesn't disappoint - daylight, onto plasterboarded wall: :)

IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0558.PNG

6. CableGuy

CableGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Stunning kitchen. :)

7. One drink

One drink
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Great stuff

8. Wil S

Wil S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Good work! Looking forward to updates!

9. Harkon321

Harkon321

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Love the kitchen and the inwall speakers. Following with interest.

10. The Dreamer

The Dreamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,997
    Missed the start of this thread - fantastic work - I just don't have those skills. Kudos!

11. Bal

Bal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +317
    Nice one Bud....projector looking real good..

12. IrishPete

IrishPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    This looks fantastic, subscribed!

13. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    Any more photos? Looks great, similar to what I'm doing.

Somebody I've been dealing with at CCF has just mentioned your thread on here... small world!

14. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Thanks for the comments guys, really appreciated. Navvie, it certainly is bud! Paul has been a great help to me during the build with advice on all things insulation and metal stud construction.

It's been a while whilst I busted a gut to get the hallway, utility and porch 1st fixed and ready for plaster.

Well the guys have been and done a fantastic job making all of my dodgy boarding look great :)

Once dry and primed I will be cutting out all of the speaker recesses in the ceiling and walls, 2nd fix electrics and plumbing. I'm also going to create some sort of in built storage cupboard at the back of the room to incorporate the projector and the space required to tidy (hide) the kids toys away at the end of the day!

Hopefully some more regular updates to come from now on.

IMG_0806.JPG IMG_0805.JPG IMG_0804.JPG IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0800.JPG

Attached Files:

15. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +330
    I've known Paul for getting on for 10 years. He used to be a customer of mine when I worked in the merchant downstairs from CCF and after we both changed jobs I'm now a customer of his.

I used timber stud work (much to his horror). So far he's only supplied me with advice and some RS45/universal slab. He's been patiently waiting for a plasterboard and resilient bar order since I started in Easter. (Hit a few unforeseen snags, not least central heating pipework being in the way of the in-ceiling screen.)

Your room looks great with plaster on the walls. At the moment I can only dream of looking at anything other than mineral wool!

16. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    You will get there bud, wish I'd had the time to go for some resilient on the ceiling but every second counts at the mo with baby due any time!

Just a little update, all bare plaster primed, tv mounted on omnimount, speaker positions mapped (L&R tweeters at seated ear level, will angle centre tweeter up slightly). Just need to hang the screen to confirm everything before constructing the pelmet and cutting out speakers.

image.jpeg

17. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Looking good so far :thumbsup:

Use using 2x2 and mdf for the pelmet?

I guess the screen will be hidden in pelmet to.. looking forward to seeing the end result...

Want to sell your house when your all finished :rotfl::rotfl:

18. GeneticMutation

GeneticMutation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Are those bi-fold doors the ones with the built in blinds? Look proper smart :smashin:

19. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    MDF or ply yes, just pondering how to cover it all up but maintain access underneath should the screen fail, was thinking magnets to hold the cover on underneath. I'm waiting for the classic "can we move" once its all done.... in short NO ;)

Yes, my babies - Schuco aluminium bifolds in anthracite with blinds inside the glass, will post some pics of both sets open once the weather improves. Got them from Euro Aluminium in Bognor Regis, couldn't recommend the guys enough. :smashin: only thing i'm missing is the rolling hillside view once open but on the flip side I will be able to watch the big screen from the patio (outside being next years project)

20. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    I wouldn't bother, counter sink screws, fill and paint. If it ever failed you would only need to use a magnet, find the screws and dig the filler out to unscrew - ok bit more of job than hinged and magnet but u will get a nicer finish and and likely hood of the screen failing is low.

21. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Good shout, any reason why MDF appears preferred over ply? Smoother finish I assume?

22. Barry_

Barry_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,039
    Not sure mate. Looking at building a ceiling wall box to hide and install projector screen myself (nearly 11 foot ceiling height!!) and reading the threads on here it's always either plasterboard then plastered or MDF.

I know MDF is heavier than plasterboard, but not sure why not ply. Guess maybe it's easier to cut and shape and the edges will look alot neater to as not got that multi layer edge look.

23. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Fantastic build so far! My guess is the kitchen is from Howden’s? It looks familiar, can you confirm the range and colour?

Would be great to hear your feedback on the in wall speakers too, like you I want a similar setup next year for a wife/child friendly living area. Good luck!

24. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Linwood Alabaster Kitchens - Buy Linwood Alabaster Kitchen Units at Trade Prices

Thanks, despite having a family trade account at Howdens we were set on buying from diy kitchens.com purely because of the different ranges and colours available - this is Linwood Dakar, solid oak frame doors, great stuff at a fraction of the price from elsewhere. We took a trip oop north to visit the showroom before deciding to take the plunge but would definitely recommend. Can always dupe magnet or someone to come up with some designs and a kit list and then order from there;)

25. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ah i see! Well DIY kitchens is our other option. Being in Manchester it will be on the cards for a visit. Nice idea about the design, question is do they leave the design with you??

In terms of your sources (amp etc) where will you keep them? I am looking for ideas to keep little fingers away!

26. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Obviously don't let on, go along with the sales patter and following "price reduction / special buy now offers" we got the 3d renders to go away with along with a pricelist of bits so kind of worked it out from there and made a few modifications. Ended up designing it in sketchup in the end. Lots of guides on their site about filler panel usage and design, takes time but worth the cost saving.

Sources wise I was originally going to have everything hidden in a rack in the garage (where you can see all of my CAT6 running to) however this was apparently going to look too clinical and not homely enough so compromise made and I'm just going to house AV reciever, Android box (once Virgin is ditched) and hopefully a PS4 in a cabinet under the centre speaker. Ideally want something in Oak with mesh/grill doors to minimise crayon and food insertion into my gear and still maintain ventilation but really struggling to find anything!

27. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Totally

It's really weird, I'm literally planning the same. Everything from the kitchen to the AV unit lol.Thoughts on this....

MAX Oak large AV unit | Buy now at Habitat UK Something you may like?

Where do you plan to house your lcr speakers... As you have already plastered the walls? What are your thoughts on acoustic foam / cloth for behind the speaker housing ?

28. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I do like that unit, cheers! As I mapped everything in sketchup to the mm I ran all speak cables right next to the final positions, tucked behind the rockwool fill. I have now plotted the dimensions back onto the PB and cut out using my trusty multi cutter, dug out half depth of the rockwool and fished the cable from behind, sorted. :smashin: I will see how it all sounds with just rockwool behind, can always play with that later. Would definitely recommend the soundbloc board though, a lot more dense and robust than standard PB for not much extra cost.

Same sort of deal for the ceiling speakers, tucked the speaker cable well up out the way and lashed some 1mm t&e to run down when I boarded allowing for the plasterers to get a better finish and give me the exact centres without risk of damaging the speaker cable when it comes to cutting the holes.

29. Ccuk

Ccuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Cabinet has wife approval :clap::thumbsup:

30. kap01

kap01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Wow that was a massive punt, there maybe a finders fee in the form of building advise! ;)

Great news! I wonder if it can be mounted/floating rather then on legs. It doesnt reall show how the doors open either. My 1 year old is super smart, they manage to find anything and
    everything (as you will find out!) :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2016