CCTV With No Power Available?

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Ardandy, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Ardandy

Ardandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I'm not asking about your standard CCTV kit here but in light of my mum and dads recent Static Caravan break in I thought I'd look into this.

Basically what I was looking for is aa CCTV camera and a way of recording it.

Normally this wouldn't be an issue but during Jan/Feb the power to the park is shut off!

Any solutions you can think of?

Some sort of battery powered motion activated snapshot system?

2. D4RK1

D4RK1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    you could do it using car batteries, the only thing is running a DVR is a mains device, so you'd need a power inverter. You can set a dvr to record on motion detection within the menus of the dvr but you still need to power the dvr plus camera 24/7. A big diesel battery will give you about 80amps of juice. Off the top of my head im not sure of the current draw of a dvr, but i guess it may only run it for maybe a couple of days tops. So not really any use to you.

There is obviously mains on site, is it a legal thing for not having any juice in these 2 months????

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  4. Ardandy

Ardandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Legally the have to shut the site for 2 months a year so people can't live there. I guess the powers off otherwise people would just leave stuff on and could be a fire hazard? Also the elec bill is part of the site fees so its the same no matter how much you use, I guess the site doesn't want people using any when they're not there!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    DOnt forget that unless you have offsite recording (can be done) the thieves could also nick £££ worth of CCTV gear as well as the rest surely the logical thing to do is remove valuable stuff over the winter caravans arent the most secure things at the best of times. That and risk of Damp/rodents etc i would have thought everything would have been removed.

6. billytkid

billytkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hiya,

how about installing a 12v IP camera (about £40 or so on ebay) and also a 3G router from Solwise (EnGenius 3G Router NET-3G-ESR-6650)

Both cant have a partiuarily large power draw, so I'd imagine a 12v car battery would have the A/h to power it for a few months.

However the best bit is most IP cameras can be set to upload/email photos only on motion/activity outside, so if the worst happens and the caravan is stolen you will have the pictures sent to you already.

Just a thought

:)

7. rickyt

rickyt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Theres a few devices about that will run from batteries aswell as DVR's that are for mobile use , ie taxi's , busses & cars .The picture below show a selection of things but were interested in the 2 boxes at the top of the screen .The large black box run's from a 12v source , has a SD card slot and will record stills or moving pictures [15 secs ,moving pictures]. It allows you to use any CCTV camera , of course it [camera] need's it's own power supply. The smaller box on the right with the silver buttons runs from a 10v source ,comes complete with a small camera and also allows another to be plugged in the back . It too captures to a SD card both stills or moving images .Image quality is not fantastic on the smaller one , a little better on the larger one with a decent camera , but both are better than nothing . A 12v battery and a good solar charging setup would be ideal .
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. Des83

Des83
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could also have purchased a mobile (portable DVR) and powered it using a rechargable battery. They can usually give you at least a few days recording particularly if the DVR uses motion detection recording.