CCTV - Where to buy?

the_sanguine

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anybody make a recommendation where to buy CCTV equipment? I have a large yard and outbuildings so am looking for something good value, not necessarily cheap

the_sanguine said:
Can anybody make a recommendation where to buy CCTV equipment? I have a large yard and outbuildings so am looking for something good value, not necessarily cheap

If you need any help/advice, pm me.

Thanks guys,

Enough there to confuse the hell out of me!

The first one does have some offers on at the mo!

the_sanguine said:

Look in Argos for Security device. If you look in Homebase,Wickes they stock a few gadgets that can be plugged up to your vcr and in colour.

Eye2007 said:
Look in Argos for Security device. If you look in Homebase,Wickes they stock a few gadgets that can be plugged up to your vcr and in colour.
:nono:

definately not, they are all rubbish.

if you need proper advice pm me or AV2D

il need proper details of your site such as access points, lighting, direction of access points and what you are trying to achieve from your cctv.

www.doktorjon.co.uk is a place you may want to look

but please please PLEASE consider what you want it for, because if you record something and want to give what you have recorded to someone else, consider how your going to give it to them. alot of DVR's these days have no way of taking the footage off other than a BNC out :suicide:

EDIT: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Images/Products/size_3/TSDVR4.JPG this is a good example, the only way of getting data off this one is by video out or hooking it upto a pc.

try getting one with an inbuilt DVD burner. and stick away from CCTV-PC's

Thanks. Again, I'm looking for good value, not cheap and nasty. My Father in Law is in the security business but only does alarms. However, he advises against Wickes, Homebase, Costco etc. I don't want to pay for features I don't need but do want a "proper" system

I have seen DVRs with USB ports, DVD burners etc, even Internet connections. I would also like a facility to have a buzzer that operates when certain cameras detect any movement.

I can draw a plan of the site if that helps

the_sanguine said:
I have seen DVRs with USB ports, DVD burners etc, even Internet connections. I would also like a facility to have a buzzer that operates when certain cameras detect any movement.

hmm these systems do exist, but your talking alot of money.

also dont buy ones that use motion detection to activate recording, they are rubbish, get a system that records round the clock

JagoPlasma said:
hmm these systems do exist, but your talking alot of money.

also dont buy ones that use motion detection to activate recording, they are rubbish, get a system that records round the clock

Strange you should say that, i use nothing else and found them to flawless..:cool: recording 24/7 is a waste of hdd and it would need to be massive.

I also note you dont like pc cctv, i normally use Geovision cards in a purpose built pc and have had one running for over 5 years on one site with no problems.I have one at home and the motion detection is so sensitive it recorded a patio door glass breaking (of its own accord) which was clever as we returned home and thought we had had a break in.

You really need to spend £££ on an dedicated dvr,there is loads or garbage in the market so normally a Geovision spec will outperform a dvr on cost/performance.It will also buzz on motion,send you an email or a text, I have mine setup so i can open the gates, garge door or turn lights on from anywhere in the world.

A stand alone dvr wont have the features of Geovision unless you spend £3k + and you can buy a geovision pc with card for around £1200.

ahh geovision, good for the consumer, not good for the enforcer :cool: and bain of my existance :p
biggest problems come when people treat it as a PC, things go bad on pc's and it can take your CCTV down for hours.

my big stance against motion detection is that no matter how advanced it is, you wont have a clue if its missed something (unless the crime is really obvious but then you have no cctv to prosecute)

EDIT:
A stand alone dvr wont have the features of Geovision unless you spend £3k + and you can buy a geovision pc with card for around £1200.

not true, alot of DVR's out there that can do all that a geovision can do, and is the size of a vhs tape, and alot less than 3k

JagoPlasma said:
ahh
not true, alot of DVR's out there that can do all that a geovision can do, and is the size of a vhs tape, and alot less than 3k

Linky?

I have used one of these for about a year at a remote site. No major problems.
http://www.dvr365.com/. Cost about ÂŁ600+vat for the 4 channel. It has alarm functions though I must admit I don't use them.

Web interface allows it to be networked and viewed from anywhere by multiple users. 2 cameras connected to it - one for number plate recording / entry and exit gates ,the other for a general view. I intend to connect a couple more cameras later in the year.

I also run a geovision pc at the main site. This whilst mainly reliable does break for os reasons usually, and as another poster said because someone decides it's a pc and they want to play, though I have had hard drive failure twice in 3 years.

I run motion detection on both and it works well. With 8 cameras connected to the geovision and a 300gb disk for recording ( on a seperate ide channel) it tends to store between 2 and 3 months of video. This would obviously depend on how much/what you are recording.

regards,
vnb

mmm...so what's the best solution?

I have two separate buildings to monitor so wonder whether 2 smaller DVRs is the way to go?

I spent ÂŁ500 at West Midland Electrics. There after support was aswome! There prices were good and i got NEXT day delivery lol.

www.wmestore.com

Highly recomend!

You can get them from Maplin electronics, although they are a bit expensive.

I saw some fake ones yesterday somewhere in a catalogue, that 'pan' or 'zoom' when you go near them using body heat sensors like the ones in Night lights in the garden. Includes fake wire, which sticks to the wall:rotfl:. They use batteries though, and would just be wasted 1/2 of the time as you're the one walking past it:rotfl:

Why do you say that???
because we think you're just advertising your company. People get banned for that:spam::nono:

Also you're linking to the homepage too, not the specified product page or section.

Uh ive never worked for them. I just bought CCTV of them a few times :p

It also seems fishy that your first post here in a thread that is over 3 years old!

Ive posted on other post already lol
U need to be alittle less harsh, i just joined.
regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom