CCTV interfering with broadband

DAVE1971

Established Member
Reaction score
My father has cctv installed and it is on his home network so he can view it remotely via a phone app. Lately, it has developed an issue - because the Ethernet from the cctv is plugged into his router, the internet now doesn’t work.

If I unplug the Ethernet leading from the CCTV to the router, the internet works flawlessly.

I’m guessing it must be some conflict with an IP address but don’t really understand it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Just realised, this may be in the wrong thread…mods can move it if they think it will be best.

Last edited:
What name and model and how was it set up? Presumably by-passing the need for a static IP address? Often these rely on your router providing a local IP and the app “sees” the CCTV recording device by “unique” codes and things other than IP address.

If it was or is on the local network then there should be no conflict with the outside world. If it was/is setup to be seen by external IP address that could be an issue regardless.

My advice would be start from scratch setting it up again - if you can change IDs and passwords do so. Make sure it is provided a local IP by the router however it is seen by the app.

Your router may have had a moment of course within NAT - you haven’t got two routers setup and providing a double NAT issue have you (not you - your dad)?

Worst case scenario I suppose somebody or something has accessed the router and the CCTV and is doing something nefarious..... that’s why I suggest setting up the whole thing including the app from scratch - the app may be providing a glitch that is mucking things up.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom