• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CCTV Input to Satellite Switch

AndyH747

Hi All,

Quick query on connecting a CCTV system into a satellite switch for whole house distribution.

Currently have Triax TMP 5x16 Multiswitch which distributes satellite signal to all rooms in the house. The 5th input into the switch is currently not used but I'd like to utilise this for the CCTV. The query I have is whether I need a modulator before the switch for inputting the CCTV signal. As I'm not using anything else on this input is a modulator necessary or can I simply connect the TV Out from the CCTV DVR directly into the multiswitch?

vex

From your description I am guessing you are running satellite receivers or freesat tv's in your rooms and no UHF / Freeview?

If I am correct and your tv's are not brand new, then yes your right, you need to modulate your CCTV image up to a UHF channel. Then you should be able to switch to Analogue TV and then tune your tv into the channel your are generating.

WARNING: if you have a brand new / in box tv then you may have a problem. Some of the TV's that manufacturers are now making / supplying DO NOT HAVE AN ANALOGUE TV TUNER.

There is a way round it, using a digital modulator to create a Freeveiw channel, but the cost is more than ten fold that of an analogue modulator. Even more for an HD Freeview version.

HTH

V.

AndyH747

Hi Vex,

Many thanks for the reply. You are indeed correct in that all TVs are utilising Freesat and not Freeview. However they are all new TVs and none of them have an analogue tuner. I feared this might cause a problem. Utilising the Freeview tuner is not ideal anyway as switching between them is not quick and easy. Ideally using one of the HDMI ports or composite inputs would be better. All TV points have two coax, two CAT6 and one CAT5 to them. I thought I could have run the CCTV through the switch and then connected this at the TV point to a composite or HDMI input to the TV.

This must be a problem for many who use a similar setup with new TVs. Any suggestions on the best way to distribute the CCTV signal given the above info?

Thanks for your time.

vex

Your two option then, are.

Analogue distribution amp, split to all tv's over the cat5/6 a d a cheap receive balum at the tv end to feed the composite input.

Or

Hdmi splitter over the cat5/6 to receiver balums at each tv to convert back to hdmi. Just installing one of these this week for sky hd, but. A bit over kill for CCTV IMHO.

V.

AndyH747

Thanks again.

Agree that HD for CCTV is definitely overkill and an analogue distribution amp sounds perfectly adequate. Can you point me to a suitable unit?

Just out of interest and because I'm unsure of how the signal is distributed, is there anything that can be done utilising the satellite switch 5th input? I know this usually feeds UHF signals but what technically stops you distributing another signal? Secondly could you not convert the DVR signal to UHF then back again at the TV point before connection to the TV itself? Just trying to think of all options.

vex

There is nothing that can use the UHF port other than a UHF channel. And in analogue form it is the lowest form of picture quality. And once it is down there you can not recover the quality.

Your best bets would be convert but to freeview or even freeview hd, but really not cheap. Or use the other Cat6's and send it in the way I described earlier.

V.

DLoop

What TVs have you got that do not have an analogue tuner in them? New models I am seeing have still got them although you can now select not to bother tuning for an analogue signal in first setup.

AndyH747

Thanks for reply.

It's a good point about the TVs. I just assumed from what vex said that they wouldn't have an analogue tuner. The TVs are all Panasonic with twin tuners one being Freeview the other Freesat. I haven't checked if they also have an analogue tuner but will do.

AndyH747

Having just checked the TV settings, there are indeed three tuners, one of which is analogue. That means my original plan will work with the current TVs. However if manufacturers are beginning to remove these analogue tuners then it will no doubt become a problem in the future.

In the meantime I'll use the tuners as planned.

Thanks for all the replies.

vex

Great news Andy.

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom