Question CCTV Domestic Installation Greater Manchester?

ChrisGTL

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a CCTV installer who covers the Rochdale area? I'm looking for a 3 camera system to cover the front/side/rear of my house.

I've already had a 'expert' out who talked me out of the IP PoE system I was planning on buying - he said I'd be much better going down the COAX/BNC style setup.

I just want someone who can give me the best advice - can a decent CCTV system be installed for ~£550?

What reason did he give for not going IP?
From what I can remember he said;

IP type systems are less reliable as proven coax types.

A lot more expensive.

IP cameras need resetting if there is a power cut? Or something lime that.

No more or less reliable,

Dont have to be more expensive

Dont need resetting if setup correctly

Do you need a NVR as well ?

The unknown is the cost of running the cable but thats true if COAX or Cat5/6 IP

You are not far away so just give me a call , and we can discuss costs involved

No more or less reliable,

Dont have to be more expensive

Dont need resetting if setup correctly

Do you need a NVR as well ?

The unknown is the cost of running the cable but thats true if COAX or Cat5/6 IP
Aaah. We have spoken before about my alarm. Do you fit CCTV systems in my area?

Basically I want a Hikvision systen. 2 cameras with 30m IR and 1 camera with 20m IR.

HDD to give me 3 weeks recording before overwriting.

Motion detection which will email/alert me.

Remote access/viewing via browser or android app (hence why I want Hikvision as their app/support is quality).

The problem I have is all installers want to use their own preference of equipment - and when i ask for a technical data sheet on the equipment I am concerned about paying a premium for a mediocre product(s).

I don't have any power up in the loft and I don't really want to start hacking into walls etc for getting power up there.

House is a new build - easy access to run cables into the soffits and back down into small bedroom into a NVR. Then run a powerline adaptor from small bedroom to front room where router is.

I don't have any power up in the loft and I don't really want to start hacking into walls etc for getting power up there.

Do you have a light in the loft?

You could spur off that.

Do you have a light in the loft?

You could spur off that.
No. Nothing apart from thick insulation up there.

Edit** But if I get a system that incorporates PoE surely I don't need power up there?

Edit** But if I get a system that incorporates PoE surely I don't need power up there?

That's a shame. I'd assume you have accessible cabling up there though feeding the top floor lighting.

That's a shame. I'd assume you have accessible cabling up there though feeding the top floor lighting.
Yeah I'm guessing so. Isn't it a bit dodgy spurring from the light ring?

Yeah I'm guessing so. Isn't it a bit dodgy spurring from the light ring?

Not for loads like we are talking here.

Fuse the spur down to 3A and that will protect the smallest domestic mains wiring cable you are likely to find.

It's common place method for extract fans / extractor hoods / TV amplifiers, and 5A sockets are commonly wired on the lighting circuit.

If done correctly, it doesn't contravene any regulation.

For PoE you need power for the DVR and that's it. The cameras are powered from the Ethernet cable that also provides the video. So you can put the DVR wherever you like.

For PoE you need power for the DVR and that's it. The cameras are powered from the Ethernet cable that also provides the video. So you can put the DVR wherever you like.
Good. That is what I am thinking.

I can install a DVR/NVR in my spare bedroom and just drop the 3 CAT5 cables from the cameras from the attic into the bedroom.

Good. That is what I am thinking.

I can install a DVR/NVR in my spare bedroom and just drop the 3 CAT5 cables from the cameras from the attic into the bedroom.

Perfect. Then you just need to connect the DVR to your broadband.

If you can run cat5e cables for Poe cameras then it should not be any more difficult to run a coax/2-core shotgun cable for analogue cameras with the power supply either coming from the DVR or an outboard PSU fitted at the DVR. So it really comes down to cost and video capture quality more than anything else.

Your problem with asking an installer to install 3rd party products is that they then become responsible for a product they didnt recommend nor know its quirks especially when getting into the remote access elements.

We would also decline to install Hikvision, and not because we are saying its bad just not a system we use. We generally use Grandstream which we knows works with our Home Automation Systems, understand the setup and is of professional quality.

SO for you a

3 x GXV3672_FHD_36 - 30m IR Full HD Cameras, IP POE

http://www.grandstream.com/sites/default/files/Resources/gxv3672_english_datasheet.pdf

1 x GVR3552 - 2TB NVR

GVR3552 | Grandstream Networks

1 x 5 port POE switch

Total price with discount applied £600+VAT, Install £300+VAT (approx)

I understand that this is over your budget but just an illustration or a pro install

Ip over analogue at any time !! So nyxh better qualify !

HD-over-coax cameras are actually very good, and help stretch the budget if POE is going over budget. Better to have a decent quality system in budget than have to go for a cheap IP-based system (depending on how much detail is required from the cameras in terms of field of view and distance covered) because the budget is too tight.

Right - I'm going to do this myself and save a ton of cash.

I simply can't stomach the quotes I am getting based on the price I can buy the hardware for.

Questions for you CCTV people;

1) If I go down the IP route what are my broadband requirements? Also, would the CCTV network eat into my bandwidth?

2) 1080p is where I want to be. From what I have seen 1080p is plenty clear enough and will give me the best recording time vs quality.

Based on the above I have come up with the following shopping list;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-DS-2CD2122F-I-External-Network-Camera/dp/B01A8LJZOC x 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hikvision-...1691&sr=8-2&keywords=Hikvision+DS-7604NI&th=1 x 1

Is this equipment all compatible so far?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
1) If I go down the IP route what are my broadband requirements? Also, would the CCTV network eat into my bandwidth?

Remote viewing determines the broadband requirements but usually not an issue with any decent broadband connection.

Yes the CCTV could eat into your broadband depending how you have it setup

Full HD 1080p is what we recommend

Yes all compatible so far

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom