1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCTV camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by doubledrat, Sep 7, 2005.

1. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I am looking for a good-quality CCTV camera (which does not break the bank) I am not too bothered about nightvision as I have floodlights. I would prefer colour, but would accept black-and-white if it made a big difference to the quality/price.

Can anybody recommend a camera which would fit the bill? Or which ones to avoid?

Cheers,

2. Otto-Mate

Otto-Mate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks M, but there are so many available I really need someone to say "I have xxxx and it's brilliant". I saw some output from a day/night camera that cost £120 from maplin and the quality was abysmal!

4. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    The other consideration is what signal type they output and how you power them.

I am currently looking into a range of CCTV cameras that are line powered and have a modulator actually built in. This means they are easy to using an existing tv distribution system.

5. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have installed many CCTV systems and also currently design commercial systems as part of my as a building services consultancy role. If you suggest a budget I can recommend a CCTV system to suit. Are you looking to record, view only, have dedicated monitors etc?

Regards

ZippyCat

6. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks guys.

I have a "spare" pc, so intend to buy one of the 4 camera pc cards that's available. this will allow me to monitor, record and access over the internet. as for price of cameras, would £100-150 each do it?

7. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    You could certainly buy something within that price range that provides a reasonable picture. Due to your budgetary constraints, I would suggest take a look at:

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv.htm

I have dealt with them in the past at the lower end of the market (CCTV can easily cost tens of thousands). I would recommend either of the following range of cameras:

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/vd120.htm

http://www.henrys.co.uk/cctv/vandalproofdomecamera.htm

Go for the colour models as these should be OK if you say you have flood lighting (480 TVL). These can be connected to a 4 camera pc card, and I would recommend the GeoVision. If you go for the 120 series camera, then select the add on wall bracket for £20. The other model can be mounted on the wall, however you may need to rotate the camera within the dome due to the orientation.

8. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These are fantastic cameras http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/colour_sony_ir.htm

I have fitted loads and have several around my home.

They can see in total darkness, i know your not too fussy about that but when the floodlights come on in darkness they will appear with a true day image.

essential if you are recording.

9. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    zippy,av2die4: thanks for the pointers

zippy: have you compared geovision with x-vision or the swann?

I've heard that the same camera can look worse on geovision (review here http://www.compshopper.co.uk/shopper/labs/70700/swann-pc-dvr-4-net.html says "We used the same cameras in the same locations and lighting conditions to test this card and the GeoVision. The Swann's picture quality was far better. It wasn't anywhere near the quality of the webcams, compared to which it looked washed out, but it was relatively sharp and crisp and didn't suffer from any of the over-saturation and exaggerated contrast that plagued the GeoVision.")

cheers

10. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    av2diefor: do you have any footage from this camera that I could see please? that would be very helpful in making a decision

11. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I haven’t had experience with the GeoVision system as I only ever install / spec dedicated DVRs, however I generally hear positive comments about the GeoVision cards & software. I would expect the newer GeoVision cards to perform better than the other brands you have listed. What I would suggest is you register with the following forum, full of very knowledgeable trade installers who would be more than happy to point you in the right direction:

http://www.thesecurityinstaller.co.uk/community/

There is a dedicated CCTV forum under the ‘Security Related’ section.

12. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Geovision is great, i have a GV-1000 runnig on a dedicated pc, i also have 2 dvr's running also.
    The stand alones are more reliable (if you spend) but pc based has the most features by far.
    Both systems can be viewed from anywhere in the world to see whats going on, i even can view the geovision from my nokia!

If you want to see a demo of the cameras pm me or i can send you a disc with footage on.

Also have a look at the forum on here http://ezcctv.com/techforum/index.php.

13. doubledrat

doubledrat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks guys :)

14. Richalot

Richalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Wingless Garuda

Wingless Garuda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  16. pandorax

pandorax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  17. jjbeef7

jjbeef7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice would be for a home application, a networked ip camera. This way you can record it right to your hard drive.
    Jay
    www.security-nj.com
    :clap:

18. visualvoice

visualvoice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. primo

primo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bob,

If you do not want nightvision/infrared, black and white cctv cameras do better in low light areas than color because they typically have a lower LUX rating. Take a look at this one: CCTV security camera

If you have enough light and prefer color, check out this box security camera.

The second one even has a sample video on the website to view. Either security camera can be used outdoors with an outdoor camera housing.

Everything is reasonably priced.

Good Luck!

20. sohahm

sohahm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may also want to contact with some suppliers of CCTV cameras before you decide to buy you should get quotation from different sellers.

http://www.tradekey.com/ks-cctv

21. ecos

ecos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0