Cctv and remote viewing (dns) help needed

bonerp

Standard Member
Hi
I have a cctv system and I've linked the dvr onto my home network.
I use BT infinity and have a hh5.
In Reading stuff about how I can access it remotely on my Android device, I understood I needed a dns as my ip address is not static with BT.
So I set one up with dyndns. This monitors mine and keeps it aligned(?).
Problem I have is my ip is currently 86.174.nn.nnn.
Dyndns is changing it to something different - 95.258.nnn.nnn which means they are not aligned.
This means I can still currently access it on 86.174......by entering it into a web browser. But not using the dns I have. Ie Bonerp.dyn.dns.
There's something else too... Dyndns implies I need to use an updater which kinds of defeats the object of keeping my ip address doesn't.
Can anyone help. I'm not getting the point of the dns if I need to keep it updated by running an updater. It's not allowing me to access it whenever I want as I need to ensure the ip is correct first!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm not getting the point of the dns if I need to keep it updated by running an updater.

A major point is to centralise the change. If you were running a web server for example, you'd give out the Bonerp.dyn.dns address just once instead of having to send everyone interested in viewing your web page a new IP address every time it changed.

The automated updater needs to be run on the system you want the URL to point to. In this case a computer always connected to your home network. If you're trying to run it on your android device when you're connected to another network then that's the cause of the error - it's pointing the address to that network rather than your home one.

bonerp

Standard Member
A major point is to centralise the change. If you were running a web server for example, you'd give out the Bonerp.dyn.dns address just once instead of having to send everyone interested in viewing your web page a new IP address every time it changed.

The automated updater needs to be run on the system you want the URL to point to. In this case a computer always connected to your home network. If you're trying to run it on your android device when you're connected to another network then that's the cause of the error - it's pointing the address to that network rather than your home one.
Oh so my laptop needs to stay on all the time to allow it to sync?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom