CCTV and illegal parking

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by paul1967, Jan 12, 2008.

1. paul1967

paul1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    On the radio this morning they say you can get done for illegal parking by CCTV footage in London and it is know being rolled out across country,big bother is watching,it's based on a rule saying that as long as the warden has evidence of illegal parking they car post the fine straight to you and not have to stick it on the car,what some groups are saying that are against this, is that if you do not get notice in post, ie its lost your appeal is no good.

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    As far as I have heard, they have to give you the notice or stick it on your car.

And with Royal Fail being what they are, unless it comes in a signed for delivery, everyone is ****ed.

3. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Not sure about parking attendant thing but big brother is watching always.

A couple of guys at work were clocked by the Cameras for stopping on Red routes and in another incident being parked up with two wheels on the pavement.

The PCN's came straight to the ofice with no wardens involved, just a pic of their van's during the offence :thumbsdow

This also goes in London for ilegal U-Turns, Not obaying no right turn signals and getting caught in yellow box junctions :suicide:

A lot of supermarkets that give a fixed time in their car park also clock your Reg number as you enter and leave. Go past your time and :nono:

You have been warned.

4. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    that is what is being changed. nip over to pepipoo for the story
    :forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=26393&st=0&p=232771&#entry232771

5. 2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yes, I can confirm this is true, in December I went to get some fish & chips (in Turnham Green Terrace, W4) & parked on double yellows, I actually stayed in the car & my wife went to get the food.

About 10 days later I get a notice with photo through the post, bear in mind that it was about 19.00 on a Saturday & I've been parking in the same spot for over 10 years to get my Rock & Chips & you'll understand how ****** off I was especially with the manner in which it was written 'operator 246 witnessed the offence on camera blah blah blah' :mad:

The worst part is that I couldn't verbally abuse the w***** that issued the ticket because he was sitting in a control room miles away :suicide:

It has got to the stage now where they have installed camera's in my area everywhere that people need to stop (outside the tube etc), its not for congestion reasons either, its simply another 'easy' tax on the motorist.

Bitter? DAMN right I am!

6. Bluehorse

Bluehorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys this is fact, in March the rules change so this no longer applies only to London.

Having seen many of the penalty notices and the accompanying photos from several boroughs in London I can tell you it is frightening.

On one I saw you can read the headline on a van drivers newspaper from the cctv picture. The camera is strategically placed to pick up the street sign showing "no waiting".:eek:

Only thing you can do is refuse to pay extra council tax increases I suppose when your local authority tells you they're going to have a spend up on new cameras as these unlike speed cameras reduce accidents or save kids outside schools.

7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Another tax on a soft target which has nothing to do with the reasons they say these measures are brought in for.

8. klr10

klr10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stopped for literally 45 seconds outside Canning Town tube, didn't even turn off the engine just needed to give a friend the spare keys to his flat. A week later £100 fine and a photo (£50 if I pay in 14 days). Not a red route, just says 'Taxi's only'.

A couple of locals I know have also been done. I now look every time I drive past and there's almost always two or three cars there, sure they'll be as chuffed as I was.

We are now living in an Orwellian Police state.

Oh and £400+ road tax next year for some of us - I give up :rolleyes:

9. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    Yet another reason why the crims win... one set of dodgy plates in London (soon the whole country) and you'll be set; no congestion charge, no camera fines, no worries about camera vans sending speeding tickets, easy life.....

As said, keep hitting the easy targets, we don't need to worry about the actual criminals...

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    er, how do they know you were actually parked, and not moving very slowly? Isn't that why you needed a warden before?

A photo just shows what you were doing at that precise moment in time. If you were driving past or perhaps pulling up to park in a legal place, the photo would still look like you weren't moving.

11. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I guess then you would just be hoping the video was no longer archived.

12. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,195
    ok, so say you saw someone in a similar car to yourself (same colour and model), had their number plate copied and put it on your car...how would the police ever find out for things such as these photo fines? What if you made a few number plates from different cars of the same make and colour as yours and kept rotating them? Obviously put your regular plate back on for MOT, insured and taxed it properly etc...

13. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    I was having this discussion with someone today.

The more and more we rely on technology and automated enforcement the easier and easier it becomes for the real crooks to flout the law by doing simple things like use false plates. As you say all you have to do is find a car that is your same colour and model and copy the plate, job done.

The chance you actually get stopped and questioned is so remote these days, as everything is done by camera and post. It's the same with the internet, people have been getting charged with internet related offenses such as illegal downloading without realising the real culprit has been someone sitting outside in a car using their laptop to piggyback an unsecured wireless network.

14. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    Emmigration is getting quite popular now.

As someone who pays full road tax and insurance, but uses his car once per month!!... I was furious to have been fined £60 a couple of weeks ago for accidentally driving in a temporary, stop-start bus lane in unfamiliar surroundings at a very quiet time of the day, for no more than 50 yards before realising my mistake and pulling out.

And 2 days ago, my 72 year old mother pulled in to what looked like a legitimate parking space to pick up her pension from the post office...5 minutes tops!
    Sadly, she hadn't noticed a newly installed sign saying £85 fine.

£85 I tell you, for an OAP who's made a little (and easy) mistake, and will struggle to pay this. The fine is totally disproportionate to the offense and utterly disgusting.

It makes you want to join the criminals of this world because law abiding citizens get kicked up the backside for making honest mistakes.

Big Brother really is here in this country and it's very very sad and depressing.

15. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    common in london

they use CCTV to nick motorists for a variety of offences, stopping in box junctions, using bus lanes, illegal u turns and right turns, red lights, not stopping at right of way, parking in fact pretty much anything that they can get away with as a cash cow. Whats best of all they will still ticket you if you do anything illegal to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle. Alot of london drivers, myself included will now not get out of there way unless I can do so without getting a ticket :mad:

FYI most wardens in london photo your car as well.

Welcome to the nanny state .....

16. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    Just so everyone knows, London has a big CCTV system that backs onto a server. it captures everyones numberplate and logs all points you have been past.
    last time i checked the footage is only saved on an incident basis (if it spots someone stopping, etc it will notify an operator and archive the footage. they use pan tilt and zoom on the cameras so they can look anywhere they need. its all automated so dont even attempt to do something dodgey like drive in a bus lane as the system automatically knows your not a bus or taxi, it will even catch you if your a cyclist! )

affter 7/7 the system was being beefed up so i wouldnt be surprised if they had a 60day retention period on all cameras (the met has ALOT of money)

17. stevefish69

stevefish69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    Tell me about it. I got clocked going through a temporary no entry sign recently and recieved a £60 fine for my efforts. To make it worst i was actually colecting tools from the building site that had put up the sign and bollards.

Big brother is watchin - In London i know they are clocking people for any driving offence they can spot. Watch out for the multitude of no U-Turn signs that have sprung up, cause they clock these too :rolleyes:

18. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    And why shouldn't they?

19. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Of course bus lanes, box junctions exist for a reason but I think it's the over zealous approach in London that drives people mad.

I don't think there is a driver in the country who hasn't accidently stopped in a box junction because the traffic he was following suddenly wasn't moving anymore! Of course in theory you should leave a gap before following through a box but it isn't always that easy.

Then there are the double parking incidents, I've read plenty of stories in the papers of people getting these fines for double parking outside their house to let their elderly grandmother in, or to unload a heavy item or a lot of shopping. If these people are genuinely only stopping for a minute or so then they should not be getting fined, it's just common sense.

There have even been cases where people have moved into a bus lane just several metres before a left hand turning to turn into it that have then been fined. They have entered this lane a few metres early because of stationary traffic ahead of them, and frankly I see nothing wrong with doing that, as by doing so they are helping to alleviate the congestion. Yet still they are fined. This is at the same time we have a government trialling the use of hard shoulders as exit lanes during heavy congestion...

The lack of consistency just smacks of a policy to generate maximum revenue whatever it takes. Hopefully now we have a more level headed guy running the London administration we might start seeing a reversal of some of these idiotic policies.

20. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    I've just been trying to pay my poor mum's £85 parking fine for her, and guess what?... on top of the £85 fine, they want to charge a further £1.50 for paying by debit / credit card! Oh, and for good measure the number to ring in order to pay it it is.. yep you guessed it, a robbing 0870 number.
    So, you have to pay to pay! I'm so angry.

Would people who say 'stop moaning' say the same thing if the penalty for such offenses rises to say £1000 ? I mean at what point does it become justifiable to complain at the level of charge for such a minor offense.

£1000 may be nothing to some people, but even £10 to my Mum is a hell of lot of money! I'm so angry with the situation, and the company running the penalty scheme will be getting fat on the profits.

I'm pretty much giving up motoring. Unless I know exactly where I'm going and I'm familiar with the area, it just isn't sensible.
    You end up looking out for penalty signs instead of concentrating fully on driving safely.

21. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,481
    its funny really, they wonder why the economy is coming to a halt, yet they dont realise that Gordon B is the sherrif of Snoberingham taxing us to the hilt and leaving us with no money to go out and buy things or even drive to buy things!

its getting to the stage where its cheaper to have things delivered than to drive and get them. and by doing this i only buy from one shop and dont bother with the trawl around town anymore

22. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    because its piracy, its done purely as a revenue raising exercise, large numbers of these items are in irrelevant places

in fact in certain boroughs are deliberately placing new road conditions down (no right turns are a favourite) on roads that have never had them and hiding the signage as best they can to maximise fines.

I do like weak minded people who spout "its the law" regardless of it being right or just. This government is a bunch of pirates out to rip off as much tax as they can to cover there insane wastage. Pedestrians are next thou as there introducing private contractor run CCTV vans in london to fine people for littering, jay walking or other anti social behaviour at £80 a pop as best of all they have changed the law so its an offence to refuse to give these civilians your details :)

Still you nimbys wont be happy till there's a uniformed state control operative watching everything everyone does, what they eat and drink cant have people getting fat, or what you watch on tv cant have any material that might cause offence or discrimination, making sure everyone walks up the stairs on the left hand side just incase someone wants to come down. Issuing £80 fines as they go along.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  23. FazerThou

FazerThou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Now I don't live in London so things may be a little different there.

Nothing to do with being weak minded, just someone who spends all day in a car and gets fed up with having to wait at green lights because of people who think the rules shouldn't apply them because they're special so they can wait in the yellow box.

As for the litter bit would you prefer to live in a s**t hole?

Isn't the mayor of London a tory?

24. gus607

gus607

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I couldn't have put it any better myself.

25. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,873
    If you two soul mates could put that arguement together in a less condescending and arrogant way you might garner more respect for your viewpoint... Just a thought ;)

26. oz72

oz72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    There are some good sites out there showing vandalised speed cameras, that cheers me up if I get a ticket. Also tells you ways to take out parking ticket machines. Tube of super glue :) At least you can make the robbing bastid councils pay as well !!

27. Oily

Oily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Which then goes on your council tax bill ;)

28. Bilbob

Bilbob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    depends on where the machines are that you destroy :)

29. Epicurus

Epicurus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +694
    Unless you're in Scotland where shortly you won't even have to pay council tax anymore, along with not having to pay for medicine, university fees or hospital parking.

I heard they're doubling the parking fine in England to pay for it.

30. MrMoonUK

MrMoonUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    sounds about right, its a joke in england we have to pay for prescriptions and hospital parking wales and scotland dont talk about a 2 tier society, this country just loves to cash cow its citizens