Answered CCTV advice please

Scotty77

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, Due to recent increase in theft in my area I’m wanting to instal cctv. I’ve had a few quotes but wouldn’t mind doing it myself. My issue would be getting the camera feeds back to where my router is and where I’d like the nvr located as I’d have to bring 5 cables back into the house then route through house to the needed location. Would I be able to instal a Poe switch (in a weatherproof case) externally where all cam feeds could terminate then I’d only have to bring 2 wires back into/through the house which I feel would be neater. Would this work? Or would I loose functionality this way??
I’ve been looking at HikVision ip cctv 4 camera kit deals but would prefer to pick and mix my cameras to fit my needs better.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Hi, Due to recent increase in theft in my area I’m wanting to instal cctv. I’ve had a few quotes but wouldn’t mind doing it myself. My issue would be getting the camera feeds back to where my router is and where I’d like the nvr located as I’d have to bring 5 cables back into the house then route through house to the needed location. Would I be able to instal a Poe switch (in a weatherproof case) externally where all cam feeds could terminate then I’d only have to bring 2 wires back into/through the house which I feel would be neater. Would this work? Or would I loose functionality this way??
I’ve been looking at HikVision ip cctv 4 camera kit deals but would prefer to pick and mix my cameras to fit my needs better.

Any help/advice would be appreciated

Yes you can do that and would typically look something like this

upload_2019-6-17_18-48-17.png

You would need to put the PoE switch in a cab/box that is IP rated against mainly water ingress, possibly dust, probably IP66/68 rated. There's plenty of info on the net about that, but if you get stuck let us know. I should point out that you would need to ensure you PoE switch will be able to cope with the total power required by the cameras, so choice of switch is important.

You could run CAT5 or CAT6 up to 100 mtrs per run, UTP being the norm, cables from the POE Switch to the cameras' and use CAT5 or CAT6 balun to BNC converters to connect the cameras. In choosing you CAT cable you must make sure it comes from a certified manufacturer, beware of cheap types as they will not be capable of carrying the signal or the power.

Perhaps you could let us know the lowest quote you have been supplied with, or a ballpark figure, then we can take a look at all you would need and see if it would make sense to DIY? Also will there ever be a likelihood of you wanting more cameras?

I will take a look at your suggested cameras and also if there are any alternative options. Do you have a link to that model as I can't find it on their site?

Last edited:
Thank you for such a thorough reply,

Ive had a couple of quotes in the region of £500-600 for a 4 camera install but these seem to be for 2mp HD cameras and a 4ch recorder and no one seems to want to tell me what brand id be getting...
My thinking was, i could probably buy a 5mp or 8mp 8ch nvr (would prefer 8ch to allow for adding additional cameras as i now think i may struggle to cover all the areas with 4) and then buy the cameras i need. the bundle deals ive looked at have cameras with a 90deg view but in one area i may benefit from a slightly wider view. Im also unsure id need 5/8mp cameras in all locations as the cameras covering entry points will only be covering a small area and anything over the 2mp would probably be overkill??
I'd Prefer to buy Hikvision or one of its sub companys as i know nothing about CCTV but these seem to be very well reviewed and supported. i'm basically just trying to figure it out hence my initial question concerning the wiring - i need to have the plan in my head before i start any project lol

Will take a look and see what I can come up. Is it a house or bungalow?

Its a Semi Detached house, ive attached a screenshot showing areas id like to cover.
A = Driverway front
B = Door
C = Side Driveway
D = Rear garden (approx 20metre long)
E = Back Door

Attachments

• Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (2)_LI.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
Can you easily get into the loft from the fascia line and then down to something like an airing cupboard, built in wardrobe etc upstairs?

Last edited:
Unfortunately not easily as the loft is a conversion.
Routing cables up/under and around the facial will mean the furthest camera will be 20m from entry point into the house.

Okay, but the 20 mtrs is not a problem with cat 6 run length at 100 mtrs max, but as you are going PoE then 50mtrs, due to voltage drop, using 3 of the pairs for power and 1 pair for video signal.

You can get Hikvision NVR's that have the PoE ports built in and would probably be cheaper than a Poe + NVR. Though if you decided to go with an outside cab then it would need to be in a safe place, the cab would need to be watertight but also vented.

You can get the NVR's without hard drives and would probably be the best way to go if outside NVR, the HD's could be put in a NAS type setup so that you could get to them easily via your network.

The quotes you got are probably down to the product they are supplying being at the lower end of the market price wise, let alone quality, Hikvision being at the top end and expensive. But we will see what's possible.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom