CCE Basic--What format should I use for DVD?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by cmulder, Jun 7, 2004.

1. cmulder

cmulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed that Cinema Craft Basic Encoder has choices to encode in MPEG-2, MPEG1, DVD, VCD, SVCD and also has seconday choices for 1 or 2 pass CBR. I know DVD is MPEG-2 and whether I choose DVD or MPEG-2 the files are the same size and appear to be the same quality. Just wondering it anyone know the what these settings are for and which ones to use just for burning home movies in AVI DV format to DVD?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Yes, DVD's are in MPEG-2 format. There are within the MPEG-2 format several other settings that can be changed that will make the files no longer 100% compatable for DVD. I would guess that your best option would be to go with the DVD preset as this takes alll the guess work out of creating a disk.
    Once you have some more time & plenty of spare disks you could try playing with the settings to see if you can improve the quality and still get them to play on your DVD player. But although they may play on yours you may well find they wont play on other DVD players as they do not conform to the DVD standard.

Mark.

3. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As you suggested by Mark MPEG-2 streams can go way above the 9.8Mbs maximum that is allowable for DVD so you will probably be best sticking with DVD presets.