1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ccd V's 'advanced Had Ccd'

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by bennett, Jul 9, 2005.

1. bennett

bennett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:
    Hi
    I am looking for a digital camcorder and have narrowed it down to the Canon MV850i or the Sony DCR-HC22. The latter has 'advanced HAD CCD'. How does that compare to just CCD and what are the advantages?

Thanks
    bennett :thumbsup:

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HAD stands for Hole Accumulated Diode, basically on a normal CCD the light stikes the pixel and this produces a minor voltage which can be read as a video signal.

The strength of this signal can be affected by (apart from the light source, transmission factor of lens etc) the size of the pixel that is gnerating the signal.

On domestic camcorders, where tiny CCD's are the norm then a small signal is procuced (giving poorer low light performance, less scope for control over things likeaperture, requiring more amlification and so compromised quality)

To make smaller CCD's perform better Sony devloped HAD ccd's.
    On a HAD CCD there is a microscopic thin lens over each pixel on the CCD which magnifys the light striking the CCD, allowing better performance.

There are various types of HAD (Advanced, Super, & Hyper) each giving varying degrees of improvement over a regular CCD.

I would opt for the Sony for this better imager but also look at the Canon MV600 thread. Doesn;t inspire confidence in Canon.