1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caveat Empor im extremis

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Barry.NI, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    There have been several threads recently regarding the purchasing of second hand TAG equipment. Most of the equipment that I have is second hand, usually bought from the TMA second hand site. I have found the people from whom I purchased the items, to be honest, and in every case the goods were shipped and received in good order. There have been recent threads, whereby a DVD players was returned due to a 'cheap looking remote', and another where there was a big discussion over the state of the door opening mechanism, ( I didn't realise you could audition equipment purhased from e-bay)! My DVD player has a silver puck and a silver spindle, old firmware, it has worked beautifully for the past two years, and ironically it is my twelve month old AV192R bought new, which has packed up.
    I recently bid on a pair of B & O Beolab 8000 speakers from e-bay. The vendor stated that these were new and boxed, however I was pretty sure from the specs, that they were an older version of the ones currently available. However I was prepared to put up with not having the small improvement to the bass output, to save over £800. I do not blame the vendor from not mentioning the fact. One should remember that at a price well under £2000 for a DVD player that is listed at over £5K, it may well not be the latest spec on the firmware side, but at least it will be up to date on the software, which thanks to the old TMA is upgradeable, and is still a very fine machine.

P.S. I was outbid on the speakers!

2. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,031
    I have used Ebay for several of my purchases, the most notable of which were the Bryston 9BST THX amp (£1725) and Dual Processor Tag (£2000).

I have one rule when buying equipment at this price level from Ebay. If its not close enough to collect (and I am prepared to travel up to 200 miles in any direction to collect something), then I don't buy it. That way, I can view the item, check its condition, and normally have a demo to ensure its working, before taking it away.

I've always found that people selling nice equipment are enthusiasts, and don't mind demonstrating before payment :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    All interesting comments,and true as well.....I've also bought a few things used,although I tend to avoid items of very high value on ebay,especially Krell currently,due to the amazing numbers of scammers trying to sell things like FPB600's from a mailbox in Taiwan,and doing the deal via wire transfer.

I think as UrbanT says,if it's a high value item,and you can't see it,or collect it,then avoid it,especially from sellers with no feedback on ebay....the other point about genuine sellers being helpful,I've also always found to be true,with most being very keen to demonstrate their gear.