cave rescue exercise--who would u rescue

Jammyb

I'd rescue the women first, starting with the injured girl. Then the men, leaving Jim Logan till last as he would be most likely to stay calm and survive the longest.

Aside from that I would be very suspicious of the situation having been presented with personal information about the private lifes and political views of the people I was sent to rescue.

In a real life situation of this type you would be against the clock, arriving in the cave you'd grab the nearest person and head back to the surface, not ticking peoples names off a list and getting into a debate on the relative worthiness of their lives.

You cant rescue anyone as you have to clear the rock fall if possible first. If they cant get out then you cant get in ! So you wait until help comes.

Alan_W

Injured girl first,then grab the nearest, but leave 1 and 2 down there till last, as if there isn't enough time, they can have a quickie before they go.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer
This has been around for ages ive done it at least 3 times for different jobs, supposed to help you relate to people and see past thier faults etc etc

The only decision i would make is to rescue Janice first as she is seriously injured, the rest of the order matters little to me, i would tell the rest of them to decide amongst themselves while i was moving Janice and be ready when i came back.

It matters little what theyve told us about the people as i dont think anyones life is worth more than anyone else's, if i had to choose id probably take the women first.

Theres a better one somewhere which is a bit more far fetched but is a bit more interesting, one guy is the worlds best hope for curing cancer, another is a paedophile etc you get the idea, its full of extremes and is very good at polarising opinions.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Rescue the injured girl last , she'll slow down anyone behind her in the tunnels.

Don't rescue any - seal up the hole and go down their transport and lift their wallets and purses for cards, keys and documents.
With the background info you have on them as well as their plastic, you could have a nice shopping spree and empty out their houses.

Did I pass the test for working in a bank ?

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I'm telling you some of them are doomed anyway taking the girl out first will maybe kill an extra 2 of them. Leave her to a dark watery grave.

You will be hailed a tragic hero and can probably get a good deal on the movie rights from your soon to be published account of the tragic events.

unique

janice (26)- injured
elizabeth (27)- has kids
gerald (34)- wife relies on him
john porter (51) - has a few kids
jim logan (36) - has 2 kids
barry porter (18)- see below (being related to john gives his priority over alfred)
alfred morgan (19)- the two youngest will have a greater chance of surviving longer
richard carling (42)- the guy is going to die in 2 years anyway, and there probably isn't enough time to get everyone out, so better to bring out someone who will possibly live longer, and also he knows his time is short

there may only be time to get 6 or less out, so thats richard and alfred left to die, maybe even barry too. the younger members perhaps have better chances of survival, thus leaving them in the longest. the list is mainly in order of how many dependants each has, apart from women out first in the old tradition of women and children first and help the injured, particularly when the injured member is likely to survive perfectly well

there's nothing to say it will take longer to get one person out over the other. down a pot hole i would imagine you would strap each into a harness and pull them out, so it wouldn't matter too much if you were conscious or not. the quicker the unconscoious person gets medical attention the better the chances of survival. the unconscoius person wouldn't be able to survive long on thier own if the hole was flooding and would need someone to help them out, so leaving them last is a bit of a death sentence

Silver Arrow

Don't rescue any - seal up the hole and go down their transport and lift their wallets and purses for cards, keys and documents.
With the background info you have on them as well as their plastic, you could have a nice shopping spree and empty out their houses.

Did I pass the test for working in a bank ?

Management level I should imagine, send your CV, and proof of identity etcetera to....:D

Jenn

Distinguished Member
Doesn't make sense...

If they're trapped in a cave blocked by rocks then you'd have to clear the rocks first and then they can all get out at about the same time or you're too late for all of them.

If they're trapped somewhere where they can't climb out and you have to go down on ropes obviously the access is open and they can just swim as long as they can giving you more time to rescue them (get the injured girl out first).

If they're trapped in a cave where the main exit is blocked by rocks and the other exit is filled with water (which would explain why you can only get one person out at a time with the proper gear), then bring enough gear in the first trip for them all to survive long enough under water to get out.

As a rescue team you wouldn't come with less then what's needed to save them all.

Kanyezee

Standard Member
Injured girl first,then grab the nearest, but leave 1 and 2 down there till last, as if there isn't enough time, they can have a quickie before they go.

LOL.

I think the purpose of this exercise is to basically just see how everybody interacts with the group. You can't be judgemental. So for instance you can't say leave Jim Logan behind because he's having an affair with the 1st woman and vice versa.

The woman who needs medical attention should definitely go first. The rest, well it depends

Alan_W

That's what I said.

Get the injured one out, then the others. Leave the two having the affair till last. At least they can die happy :devil:

If the job interview is for a bank then of course you would only rescue the ones who came forward for a review of their financial state and were willing to buy more insurance they don't need.

Z

Zed72

Tell the employer it's a completely redundant exercise, as it's totally unrealistic.

It's an affront to your moral standing, as you do not wish to play God as regards who lives or dies and tap into the collective guilt that today's society fosters, whereby you'll berate yourself for the next couple of days as to who should and shouldn't be resuced and what this says about you as a person, and your judgements on people.

And it can't possibly reflect your best qualities when it comes to dealing with work colleagues, because at work, every member of the team will have a definitive role and duties assigned them, and you'll have a much better idea as to each colleague's responsiblities and qualities.

And when your work team do get together you won't ever be discussing how to get several people out of cave, and who will die, so the whole thing is pointless and a complete waste of everybody's time, and if the employer can't be bothered to set up a fair activity that enables people to show their best qualities as regards a specific job, then they shouldn't bother at all.

This approach may very well not get you the job, but would you really want to work for a company that was so faulty in their interview techniques anyway?!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom