Caution GT Electronics Dundee - Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised by all of this... I live in Dundee and used to pop in to Game-Tek years ago. Always friendly, used to swap my games there and had my original xbox modded, too. Never had any problems but I thought the place went out of business due to legal problems with modding. May pop in some time :hiya:

Yeh,it was good "back in the day",to pop in and have a yatter with the lads in there..
some good laughs were had,and some bargains too.
ill never know why they never started up an importers..for games/movies/extras.!
Dundee need's one of them..

this is my first involvment in a forum, but i feel i have to speak out.

i sent my psp away in August 2007, for a wlan switch fault and to change the face plate.
2 months later after lots of pressure i finally got my psp back, with a new face plate but still the origanal fault!!
So i returned that to them and waited and waited, only to recieve it back again 3 weeks later still not working!!!
so after returning it again, the sent me a psps 4 days later.
Turns out they had lost mine, sent me someone else's that wouldnt read disks and the face plate was scratched like mad.
i then sent that back, and they quickly returned me a psp that dosnt even aknwoledge electricity.
havent had a email or a phonecall for 4 months now.
kept the last psp, and im gonna throw it through there window if i ever end up in dundee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there all having problems with GT Electronics,

I sent my Xbox 360 away about 2 months ago to GT Electronics and have experienced similar issues with them I originally spent £50 for a repair then £20 for postage. When the console was returned it worked for about a week before the same fault occurred. I sent the console away once again and this cost a further £20 to send it to Dundee and back. When I received it back it still did not work. After many emails on my part to try and resolve this situation at no further cost to me however it took 2 emails over a week to get a single response which referred me straight to there Terms and conditions with no further explanations. This was unacceptable! I note from all your stories and issues you are finding similar problems.

My proposal;
I am looking to take this case to BBC watchdog and the more support I can get on similar stories the more likely it will be to be successful. What I need from anyone who wants to support this proposal is a letter describing the problems you have had, your contact details (which I will only use or give to others with permission) and all the contact you have had with GT Electronics then any other information which might help. Other than these items I shall do all the other work of compiling a portfolio to send to the BBC watchdog.

Please get into contact if you can help

Contact me on AVForums

use console doctor instead! excellent repair service for consoles. doesn't do 360's though.

use console doctor instead! excellent repair service for consoles. doesn't do 360's though.

I know you meant well and i appreciate the info, but this is the xbox 360 board :rotfl:

I know you meant well and i appreciate the info, but this is the xbox 360 board :rotfl:

I appreciate that, but some people were commenting on problems with different consoles so thought it might bare some relevance for them
:oops:.

I used GT a few years back to get my original Xbox modded and they seemed like a good bunch back then, although I did take it to them in person and then collected it the same day.

Sounds to me like they just dont have the time to fix the amount of consoles they receive and are rushing the repairs. For the 3RRoD consoles I suspect they will be doing the X-Clamp fix, which isnt a job to be rushed.

For those brave enough, llamma.com sell X-Clamp kits dirt cheap & have guides on how to do it. I have a kit set aside in my tool box for that special day when my 360 dies again, only out of warranty.

If your console has other problems then llamma.com is still worth checking out as it's a good source of info on DIY 360 repairs. If it's broken out of warranty then you have nothing to loose anyway.

I hope these guys like to play jokes and this e-mail I got from them was not serious:

We will send you a broken atari 2600.
Dee@gt
----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>; <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2008 2:05 PM
Subject: Enquiry from GT Electronics

name: Johno
email: ********@hotmail.com
telephone: *******
system: XBox 360
enquiry: Hi I sent my 360 to you on Thursday and just had a check on the
Royal Mail Tracking site and says this

Your item with reference ********* was delivered from our DUNDEE
Delivery Office on 02/06/08 .

Thank you for using this service.

I was just getting worried that you never e-mailed me to say it was there.
Just have a quick question I sent my 360 and was just wondering will I get
my 360 back and not someone else's as I read that sometimes you do this
tanks again.

hey guys been using gt for years and been getting my 360/ps2/ps3/psp fixed and used them for trading games when they owned the games shop next door to gt and never had an issue with dee or any of the guys
but onething they are always busy and always have been busy with loads of consoles repaires
and as i have said i know the guys very well and would trust them to repair any of my consoles
:thumbsup::clap:

A friend of mine is currently having real problems with these people. Is anyone else?:mad:

Last edited:
The issue I had was resolved and I received a working Xbox..

Keep trying .. the owners details are above, perhaps a pm ?

Good luck

The issue I had was resolved and I received a working Xbox..

Keep trying .. the owners details are above, perhaps a pm ?

Good luck
i recieved a working xbox..2 days later it was broke again..these guys use blue tack and sellotape to tempory fix the problem..they are incapabl;e of repairing consoles..only tempory repairs...if you get youres back and its "fixed"
get rid of it quick before it breaks again..because it will............

What I'd like to know is; if these people at GT Electronics are so apparently terrible why do you lot continue to use them?! Do they offer a cheap service?? =/

I am not the only person having problems, but please think carefully before using the above company.

http://www.gtelectronics.co.uk/

Seemed to have stopped answering phone/emails and not returning consoles.

:thumbsdow:(

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! WARNING!!!
I sent my xbox360 to them for repair. There was all sorts of excuses why it hadn't been returned as promised. When it finally did arrive there were parts missing that were there when sent to them & it had not been repaired in fact there was more wrong with it than when it was sent to them. It's a waste of time writing/contacting them or the owner Nick Baxter because he does not want to know...

The only time you will hear from them is when they want payment. Then you will not be able to contact them on the phone as if you ring the number your call will be answered by an answer machine telling you to view their website. E-mails get ignored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please can i urge anyone having problems to keep forwarding all contact and stories about this company to me as per my previous post. I have already had responses from many of you but the more details i receive the more likely this is to succeed.

Regards Mr Matthew Barnwell

My 360 got the 3RROD a few weeks ago and instead of sending it to microsoft as I would be without a 360 for weeks I sent it to GT Electronics to fix as all there feedback on there site looked good.

So I sent it of to them witch cost me £8 to post. After about 5 days I got a call saying it was fixed and took my £55. A few days later my 360 come back and a day later it gave me the 3RROD so the next day I sent it back witch cost me another £8 then a few days past they called and said it was fixed and took £5 off me to post it back. I got it back yesterday and was shocked when I turned it on 4 minutes later it got the 3RROD. So I asked for my money back and they said no.

So am going to get in touch with trading standards and watchdog and Citizens Advice. See if there is anyway to get my £50 back they can keep the p&p I just want my £50 back.

What I'd like to know is; if these people at GT Electronics are so apparently terrible why do you lot continue to use them?! Do they offer a cheap service?? =/
what do you mean...i only used them once..the machine broke within 2 days..i got rid of the machine..

i would never go back to them..

I've been having problems too. I sent my American Xbox 360 Elite for a grahpics problem. They called to say it was ready to be sent back so I paid the bill and then waited. After a week or so it hadn't arrived, so I emailed them back and fourth a couple of times only to be told they lost it. They didn't have any tracking details and were very apologetic. They said they would replace the unit and would also sort out refunding the some money, but it would be a couple of weeks as they were going on holiday or something.

After a couple of weeks (last week) they sent me an email saying they were replacing the unit with one they have found but it didn't have a front faceplate. I emailed and said I hoping they would send a new one as a replacement as the unit they lost was only 10 months old and had hardly been used. Also all my information, my kids game saves, everything was lost.
This is the response I received; "You are not getting a new one end of story. A replacement will be sent by
end ofthe week, i will email to confirm. Dee@gt"

I emailed back saying that I would take things further with my solicitor and trading standards, this is the reply I received; "There is no point in a childish argument here, it's simply a waste of time. You have been informed of the situation and will have your replacement by the end of the week. Thank you."

Today, even though I said I didn't want it, I received an old replacement. It's older than the unit I sent them, in very poor condition and had white paint or something on the side of it. I emailed them saying what was wrong with this and that I would now take things further, (which I have done), and that I would also dispute the £50 charge on my credit card and this is the response I had from Dee again; "Yeah cause your broken one you sent us was worth loads you cock. Ill await your representatives correspondents with excitement. Perhaps contacting Mulder an Scully may also be worth a crack. It could be the "case of the greedy man".Sigh what fun."

I have never come across a company like this.

Last edited:
I've been having problems too. I sent my American Xbox 360 Elite for a grahpics problem. They called to say it was ready to be sent back so I paid the bill and then waited. After a week or so it hadn't arrived, so I emailed them back and fourth a couple of times only to be told they lost it. They didn't have any tracking details and were very apologetic. They said they would replace the unit and would also sort out refunding the some money, but it would be a couple of weeks as they were going on holiday or something.

After a couple of weeks (last week) they sent me an email saying they were replacing the unit with one they have found but it didn't have a front faceplate. I emailed and said I hoping they would send a new one as a replacement as the unit they lost was only 10 months old and had hardly been used. Also all my information, my kids game saves, everything was lost.
This is the response I received; "You are not getting a new one end of story. A replacement will be sent by
end ofthe week, i will email to confirm. Dee@gt"

I emailed back saying that I would take things further with my solicitor and trading standards, this is the reply I received; "There is no point in a childish argument here, it's simply a waste of time. You have been informed of the situation and will have your replacement by the end of the week. Thank you."

Today, even though I said I didn't want it, I received an old replacement. It's older than the unit I sent them, in very poor condition and had white paint or something on the side of it. I emailed them saying what was wrong with this and that I would now take things further, (which I have done), and that I would also dispute the £50 charge on my credit card and this is the response I had from Dee again; "Yeah cause your broken one you sent us was worth loads you cock. Ill await your representatives correspondents with excitement. Perhaps contacting Mulder an Scully may also be worth a crack. It could be the "case of the greedy man".Sigh what fun."

I have never come across a company like this.
bloody hell...take it to citizens advice and trading standards..with that email they sent..

this company should be closed down..what a reply..shocking..

Everyone Please instead of procrastinating here please send me the details of what happened in a full report as i have said before and i will send it off in a portfolio as mentioned before in my previous posts and we will get our money back and hopefully take it further than that...

Everyone Please instead of procrastinating here please send me the details of what happened in a full report as i have said before and i will send it off in a portfolio as mentioned before in my previous posts and we will get our money back and hopefully take it further than that...

I doubt you will get anywhere with that, as GT are no longer in existence.
I passed there today and noticed they have changed name (I've been out of the country for a month so not sure when this happened).
I'll take a trek past sometime this week and get the new name.

Was it SKP Repair Trooper ? because thats the site that the link below goes to...?

They seem to have just changed their name probably all the bad press but i googled GT Electronics Dundee and this site came up, poor form if thats the case...:thumbsdow

http://www.gtelectronics.co.uk/

Yep that's the place.

Definitely under new name.
Possibly new management/ownership, if this is the case then anyone who has problems with GT may as well bang their head against a brick wall.

If anything this just helps things. It shows what kind of company they are and how they can't be trusted as they've had to shut down GT Electronics and start up again. I don't believe my American XBOX Elite was ever lost, I think they kept it and had always intended to send me an older one. I'm going to contact Companies House and others to see if they can investigate the Directors or something. I have a contact at the BBC so I'll see if we can move things along.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom