Causes of Focus Issues?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nokmondoo, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I have a Panasonic AE2000 projector and I'm currently using a diy Fixed Screen made from mdf.

I can't seem to get the full picture in sharp focus, it's only sharp in certain parts and blurred in others.

The picture is totally square so I don't think that's the problem. The only thing I can think that's causing it is the screen is mounted on a slightly uneven wall.

What you reckon?

2. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Interesting and curious. Have you mounted the mdf on the wall in such a way that it is no longer flat? Even if you had I would doubt that the lack of flatness would be so great to cause focus issues - for example a hanging screen is rarely flat but can still get uniform focus. Are you able to test the image size to check it is rectangular and not distorted? You don't say what the surface coat on the mdf is - perhaps that is not uniform and is causing you to see that as a focus issue?

3. leebarrow29

leebarrow29
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Welcome to the world of LCD projectors... This is the reason I always recommend DLP.. you wont be able to fix it. It needs replacing if you can

This is 1000000% projector fault relating to the LCD panels and lens

4. gongatots

gongatots

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68

More than likely true.
    I can't get 100% sharp focus with my epson but you can only see it on a test pattern from 3 foot away so its not a deal breaker for me.

5. stainless-steel

stainless-steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    It could be that the smooth, flat surface of the mdf is exaggerating the inherent lack of uniform focus that many projectors suffer from.
    Most screens have a degree of texturing that help to mask the effect, my old Sony HS20 from many moons ago looked acceptable on the textured draper screen I had at the time, but if you held up a sheet of white A4 paper to the screen and moved it around you could clearly see the focus uniformity issues from corner to corner.

Is it an effect you can see from your seating position, or just when you're standing next to the screen? If its only noticeable up close I'd try to put it out of your mind.

6. leebarrow29

leebarrow29
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Its the lens with the panels..... The end... Good excuse to upgrade if you ask me :)

7. stainless-steel

stainless-steel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    What do you mean? There aren't many projectors available without lenses. And just as few that don't use some form of panel.

It might be an idea to expand on your argument a bit before we get straight to the spending lots of money bit...

8. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    How can you possibly know that? One of the greatest PJs that will stand up even today & you know its the lens? or it it the panels?...

This Panasonic LCD PJ has beaten a lot of DLPs backwards & its an issue that seems worth a quick investigation imo. Its a good possibility the screen could be at fault here.

Dont get me wrong im not one of the LCD is better than DLP folk as imo both LCD & DLP both seem to have advantages & I would say the same thing if this issue was regarding a Classic DLP PJ.

9. leebarrow29

leebarrow29
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sharpness issues are more common with LCD projectors than DLP projectors. Its one of the reasons I always go DLP. If you want to find out if its the screen, then simply take it down and project on to a flat wall or sheet.

Its upgrade time if you ask me :)

10. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I would advise the op by asking had he got this problem before he got the MDF base screen & is the Panasonic fairly used at this stage,are there many 1000s of hours on lamp etc. before condemning a projector i know very little about.:) What would you recommend as an upgrade to a Panasonic PT-AE2000?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  11. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    If the focus issue relates to small areas of the screen and does not change, this is most likely down to dust contamination of the optical pathway. It can be on the panels or absorbers - if you see coloured splodges, or before the beam splitter if clean colours. It can also be due to the lenses being ever so slightly out of line, and this can be before the panels or after.

Try applying a little pressure to the lens to "bend" it slightly and see what changes.

Cleaning is about £100, so it is up to you it you think it is worth it.

12. leebarrow29

leebarrow29
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I personally would 1000% upgrade. Benq W1070 would be super sharper or W1200 if you dont want 3D :)

13. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I would never have thought you would have went with DLP:D

14. leebarrow29

leebarrow29
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    LCD sucks in my opinion :)

15. Nokmondoo

Nokmondoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Made a new screen of of blackout material and found the wall was running off square by about 2". Brought one side of the screen forward and is helped the focusing a bit. Still not super sharp on Windows desktop etc but great on films /ps3.

Bulb is old now tho, could a new bulb help?

16. lindzap

lindzap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Doubt it. Increased brightness might actually make it look worse a tad. Anyway, at least you find your answer.

17. johnjay

johnjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    You must have had issues with at least 2 LCD projectors to say they suck... What models did you have trouble with? Just curious.:)

18. themovierooms

themovierooms
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +798
    I have seen this on recent Panasonic projectors as well. My understanding was that it was to do with the quality of the lens which would vary from unit to unit. Some were better than others.