1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

caught in speaker quagmire.throw me a rope ,please!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dazednconfused, Oct 10, 2003.

1. dazednconfused

dazednconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    need new speakers and have shortlisted the following .my room is small and i need them for music.please help
    quad 11L
    b+w 602
    mordant short 904
    monitor audio bronze 2
    mission m34/51/53
    wharfedale pi20
    def tech SM 350.
    heybrook hb3

2. Soni

Soni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp and cd player are u using ?

Cheers

Soni

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    And what sort of music and how loud? What speakers did you have before?

4. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I can only comment on the B&W 602 s3 and the Quad 11L's since I own the Quads and demoed them alongside the B&W's.

I can say that for out right resolution the Quads are playing a different game to the B&W's. But if you listen to puncy bass driven tracks then I'd seriously consider the 602's as the Quads although ok in this department aren't really in the same leaque.

However if you listen to orchestral, acoustic, vocal or anything but dance really the Quads come out top every time. I'm using them as rears in my Cinema room with the larger Quad 22L's doing the stereo business. But I auditioned the 11L's as a stereo pair again't the B&W's.

If I had got B&W up front I would have choosen B&W's for the rear but I'd got the Quads instead because of the extra level of refinement and good stereo imaging. They are great for surround too and dig up loads of details.

5. dazednconfused

dazednconfused

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm using a marantz 80wX2 amp and rotel rcd cd player.my previous experience with speakers has been limited to mission 72d tannoy bookshelfs.i presently have a mission m72.my tastes in music exclude rap,metal,techno and hard rock.i listen to everything else(country,soft rock,fusion,classical).over to you-soni,nobber22!

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you now that you will love the Quad 11L's if you listen to country, soft rock, fusion and classical.

Just make sure you take lots of cd's with you when you demo them against others. I'm sure they'll come out on your favourites simply because of the level of detail they can offer along with the the whole soundstage and generally convicing nature of these speakers. But of course demo as many pairs in your list as you can to be sure they are right for you.