• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

caught for 35mph in a 30mph limit .....

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
It was arbitrary leeway and relies on your speedometer being spot on.

John

the limit is 30, can't really complain if you were done for 35 . take it like a man and do the speed awareness course. if you're offered it

A car can drift into 35mph without you noticing. That's why I feel that the law is a bit too strict. Speed + 10mph should be the law. You can't drift 10 mph over without knowing it.

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
i know i am caught and aint complaining even if i am convinced the speedo wasnt showing that fast , anyone know how much a speed awareness course is these days :(

surely that would negate the point of being in a 30mph area as everyone would just do 40mph instead :rolleyes:

39... but then you would risk drifting into 40, and break the law.

D

Deleted member 30535

A car can drift into 35mph without you noticing. That's why I feel that the law is a bit too strict. Speed + 10mph should be the law. You can't drift 10 mph over without knowing it.

That would be driving without due care and attention.

Chadford

Distinguished Member
Arse! seems a bit tough, but hey ho I guess you can't complain. :(
If I'm not wrong car speedometers are legally required never to show that you are driving slower than you are actually going, in fact the opposite is true, try this out with a Sat Nav if you have one and it shows your speed. :)

nheather

Distinguished Member
A car can drift into 35mph without you noticing. That's why I feel that the law is a bit too strict. Speed + 10mph should be the law.

It is largely there to protect pedestrians.

Chance of fatility rises rapidly with speed

20mph 1%
30mph 7%
40mph 31%

Unfortuatley the laws of physics don't let the pedestrian off with a leeway.

Cheers,

Nigel

Dave

Distinguished Member
It is unusual but not unheard of to be done for 35 in a 30.

We kill thousands of people each year on our roads, largely because of poor driving rather than speed. Speed in itself isn't that dangerous, lack of observation certainly is.

If you get offered the speed awareness course then go for it, at the least you'll save yourself the points, at best it will improve your driving.

travid

Distinguished Member
It is unusual but not unheard of to be done for 35 in a 30.

We kill thousands of people each year on our roads, largely because of poor driving rather than speed. Speed in itself isn't that dangerous, lack of observation certainly is.

If you get offered the speed awareness course then go for it, at the least you'll save yourself the points, at best it will improve your driving.

+1

Some drivers are able to see the future i.e around bends, along a narrow road with parked cars etc:facepalm:

IronGiant

20mph 1%
30mph 7%
40mph 31%

Cheers,

Nigel

And the lower the speed limit the less excuse there is for doing 10mph over it :thumbsup:

dthomas

Established Member

20mph 1%
30mph 7%
40mph 31%

Cheers,

Nigel

Why would pedestrians be in the road to get run over?

ObeyOne

Established Member
i know i am caught and aint complaining even if i am convinced the speedo wasnt showing that fast , anyone know how much a speed awareness course is these days :(

Hi.. I got caught doing 37 in a 30 - got offered the speed awareness course which I took - was £80 Thames Valley area.

Berties

Banned
Why would pedestrians be in the road to get run over?

Because they're idiots and walk out in front of a oncoming HGV whilst talking on their phone (dad almost hit a woman she just walked straight out of a side shop in front of him, not even using green cross code) Luckily he was doing 25 in 30 zone otherwise would have hit her.

Daft cow.:rolleyes:

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member

That's the rule I drive by and indeed, I feel the law sort of allows generally.

40 in a 30? not a problem on a clear road imo.

The vast majority drive at over 70 on motorways too.

But of course, you have to be sensible about it.
Which is why I'm massively in favour of sleeping policeman outside schools, even though I hate them.

Fwiw, even with me liking to get a move on, I've never had a speeding ticket in 25 years of driving.

dthomas

Established Member
Because they're idiots and walk out in front of a oncoming HGV whilst talking on their phone (dad almost hit a woman she just walked straight out of a side shop in front of him, not even using green cross code) Luckily he was doing 25 in 30 zone otherwise would have hit her.

Daft cow.:rolleyes:

Had someone do they same on me and I hit them.
Just walked straight out. Wasn't speeding and they ended up with broken legs.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom