Cats Review & Comments

Was looking forward to the review of this. I am not disappointed. Weirdly, I’ve reached the point where I’m prepared to argue that I’m glad that Cats has been made because it’s given critics a chance to really dust off areas of their prose that don’t get a look in with films that are actually good.

This enthusiasm doesn’t stretch to wanting to see it though.

Last edited:
My girlfriend wants to see this and has read bad reviews too but we will still go and see it and judge for ourselves i think but thanks for the review and also thanks fo pck1967 for some positivity becasue at least i am not completely filled with dread about having to sit through it lol

I am just glad I watched 6 Underground instead and it was literally twice as good scoring an impressive 4 (which I fully agree with by the way).

Thanks for the review... But even with that score I will admit to still being Cats curiouso_O

"Dancing Cockroaches"

I know when this hits Netflix I will be all over it, just out of sheer curiosity (pardon the pun).

But for now I think I can live without it.

It will be interesting to read a review by someone who enjoyed the stage musical.

Nearly all the negative reviews are by critics who openly admit they either haven’t seen the stage version or simply don’t like musicals, so it’s no surprise they don’t rate the film.

From what I’ve seen so far, this film is simply a film version/adaptation of the stage show so it will be about the songs and sequences for people who like the genre.

Came here for the marks out of ten. Wasn't disappointed.

Audiences seem to be enjoying this more than critics. I guess that was inevitable.

Audiences seem to be enjoying this more than critics.

It's traditionally frowned upon for critics to be drunk so this a luxury only afforded to the paying public.

Saw it in the theatre when it first came out was not my cup of tea then. It might do well as people may want to see if it is as awful as generally critiqued.

Just heard a discussion on the radio about this - loads of folks now say they want to see it just to confirm it's as bad as the reviews say it is.
Which I must admit I find a curious rationale - if someone tells me jumping in a huge pile of dog poo will ruin my brogues then I tend to take their word for it rather than prove them right by doing it.
'So bad it's good'?
No, if it's bad then it's bad - end of.
Life is far too short to waste your time proving that everyone else was right all along.

I’m sure I heard The Guardian (I think) gave it’s first ever 0 star review for this.
Potentially turning into one of those so bad it has to be seen (to be believed) films. Although not for me ;)

Last edited:
And at least two of the Cats cast were on Graham Norton a week ago ..... I wasn't a huge fan of the original, so I certainly won't be paying my meagre pounds to see this. Perhaps when it appears on free-to-air television maybe.

Was looking forward to the review of this. I am not disappointed. Weirdly, I’ve reached the point where I’m prepared to argue that I’m glad that Cats has been made because it’s given critics a chance to really dust off areas of their prose that don’t get a look in with films that are actually good.

This enthusiasm doesn’t stretch to wanting to see it though.

It's had such mixed reviews, though the majority were truly bad. Even The Times cartoon was a notice tor 'COMMENTS' with an arrow pointing below at a litter tray!
The one good review was in the Financial Times, subheaded, 'Tom Hooper’s musical adaptation is weird, wonderful and worryingly erotic'!
My verdict is reserved until I've seen it.

Thanks for the review Kumari, saw this last night as nothing else on and quite enjoyed it. Once you get used to the fur and and just go with it, it isn't that bad. Francesca Hayward was amazing as Victoria the white cat and only James Corden and Rebel Wilson sort of annoyed me. Definitely something different to watch and not for everyone but I'd say give it a go, even if it's just out of morbid curiosity. 6/10.

I’m not inclined to see it and suspect the low reviews have called it correctly.

But I have also seen some stupid negative reviews. For example several reviewers, including this one, make fun of the fictitious word ‘jellicle’ as if it is something stupid that the film has made up. You can’t blame the film for this, it comes from the original book of poems from T S Elliott. For me comments like that destroy the credibility of the review.

Cheers,

Nigel

I don't take any notice of critic reviews. Most are just rubbish like this one. Cas sometimes gets it right.

I will read audience reviews (which are usually mixed), and then I'll see it, and form my own opinion.

Theatre critics hated the original stage musical, and it ran for 21 years.
Even then it never had a strong story, it was all about a song & dance spectacle.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom