Cats & gardens

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've just had our garden done and our new borders appear to of become the favourite place for all the cats near us to crap...

Anyone know any decent deterrents to stop them using our garden as a litter tray? We have a cat so those things that emit high pitch noises won't be suitable. No suggestions involving air rifles either please. ;)

Thanks.

We've just had our garden done and our new borders appear to of become the favourite place for all the cats near us to crap...

Anyone know any decent deterrents to stop them using our garden as a litter tray? We have a cat so those things that emit high pitch noises won't be suitable. No suggestions involving air rifles either please. ;)

Thanks.

We sort of stopped it by making sure that there was no where in the soil for them to crap in. Planting it out put a stop to that.

They did crap on the lawn a few times though :mad:

Yeh, considering that. We've just planted 40 shrubs so left space in between. I think ill be adding some bedding plants and some slate chips tomorrow!

Thanks for the reply.

Cats generally don't sniff before crapping but they do sniff after doing it.

Try putting regular pepper or cayenne pepper down or even some branded product-type stuff from the pet shop. The idea being, that a nose full of this might hopefully put them off coming back to that area.

Of course, if it rains the you might have to renew it.

My next door neighbour has a small green box in the lawn that sets off repellant. Will try to get a pic for you. I stood in cat **** today so will be going to get one or two tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the label off a plastic bottle(s) and 3/4 fill it with water, then leave them dotted around your borders.

It's worked for me.

I was going to suggest to try such a thing as I too had heard of that. However, not wanting to leave my garden looking like a rubbish dump, have never tried it.

Plus I have two cats myself without signs of poo, so I guess they go elsewhere.

In my last garden I had a pyracantha (firethorn) bush and always saved the prunings to lay over newly dug ground. The spines are vicious!

I was going to suggest to try such a thing as I too had heard of that. However, not wanting to leave my garden looking like a rubbish dump, have never tried it.

I'm tempted to post up a photo of my garden and ask you to play the game "Spot the bottle".
:thumbsup:

Cheers for the ideas folks.

Caught another in the garden earlier... Sods.

My next door neighbours now have 5 cats, 3 males, un-neutered, so they spray everywhere, and it stinks, and 2 females, 1 done, 1 not done.

If I catch them in the act, I use a powered water pistol, filled with vegetable oil, which works when you get them, or let the dog out, for a few seconds to chase them, but the amount of cat **** on the lawn is unreal now, so have now resorted to just throwing it back over the hedge, either onto their grass, or onto their decking outside their French doors.

It's got so bad that we have to go out and check the grass, and pick it up, when the kids go out to play, in the garden.

Also covered my side at the of the fence at the door with some thick old engine grease that I got from my Dads shed.
Now that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when she "shooshes" the cats in for their food, and you hear the neighbours screaming and shouting about getting the cats out and keeping them out of the living room/off the sofa.

It gets on their paws, and on their bellies, and they trail it in the house..:laugh:

They cause me grief, I cause it back.

There seems to be an increase in cats recently in my neighbourhood and it seems like they like crapping on my lawn, front and back. Worse thing is when they spray our low growing shurbs, our dog goes into the garden and sticks her head in the shrub and comes in smelling of cat pi**.

If my dog got into peoples' gardens and crapped they'd be up in arms. Yet cat owners seem to think it is acceptable.

There seems to be an increase in cats recently in my neighbourhood and it seems like they like crapping on my lawn, front and back. Worse thing is when they spray our low growing shurbs, our dog goes into the garden and sticks her head in the shrub and comes in smelling of cat pi**.

If my dog got into peoples' gardens and crapped they'd be up in arms. Yet cat owners seem to think it is acceptable.

What do you suggest they do? I'm guessing you might suggest they keep them in the house, but that's not realistic.

What do you suggest they do? I'm guessing you might suggest they keep them in the house, but that's not realistic.

Don't keep bloody cats, because what your saying is ''it's fine for my cat to crap in my neighbours garden''. If my neighbours moans then I'll just throw my hands in the air and say ''what do expect my cat to do, I can't keep it in''. Our course you bloody well can.

2 options

1. put a peg in the middle of their garden and tie it to it with a piece of string long enough to move around freely, but not so long as to allow it to get over the fence to **** all over their neighbours property.

2. don't have a cat.

You live next door to alex don't you.

My next door neighbours now have 5 cats, 3 males, un-neutered, so they spray everywhere, and it stinks, and 2 females, 1 done, 1 not done.

If I catch them in the act, I use a powered water pistol, filled with vegetable oil,

Right, Baste them and barbecue them good plan. :smashin:

Looked out earlier and there was 5 of them in the garden... 3 of them having a fight, one crapping in the corner and the other eating our newly planted shrubs. A quick blast with the hose got rid... we'll see if they dare come back!

I've never had any complaints about our cats (since at least 1988). Which either means they are burying their dirt or the neighbours don't particularly care. However, our neighbours have virtually two cats each (next doors got two dogs), so maybe that is the secret. Get a cat or two!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom