1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats, claws and plasma tv

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DamienTC, Aug 15, 2005.

1. DamienTC

DamienTC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peps

I've recently bought and wall-mounted the 42-PV500. Now, my girlfriend and I are talking about expanding the family, but not with kids. Heavens no.

We wan't to invest in two big-as-hell maine coon-cats who can terrorize the apartment and us. Does anybody else have plasma sets and cats, and is it a bad combination? I don't want my plasma to attract the little devils' claws, if you know what I mean?

Thanks in advance

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204
    Well I have never heard of a cat jumping up on to a wall mounted plasma, but I suppose it could happen. If it did, I would be looking at wall mounting the cat afterwards :D

3. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

4. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    LMFAO :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

5. neilios

neilios
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,416
    I have 2 cats just out of kitten hood ,they dont bother with the plasma apart from 2 watch it ,there more concerned with attacking the leather couch lol.

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Our siamese cat has never attacked any of our AV kit, although we don't yet have a wall-mounted plasma. I don't think you need worry about it. :)

7. imilne

imilne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    We have two cats...mother and kitten, and they have both from time to time shown an interest in the plasma screen (free standing, not wall hung).

In terms of pawing at the screen, when it's been showing PC content and has a moving mouse cursor, they can (and do) go nuts for it. It was funny at first, but the risk of them scratching it means I have to make sure they're not around when making adjustments to DigiTV/Meedio/whatever. Although it did tend to be "pawing at" rather than "scratching at"...

They can also get to the top of the unit from the window sill, and will often use it to walk along. *And* the little buggers have climbed down it from that position occasionally, front legs first...sliding down the screen...please don't use claws...etc. Very scary to watch!

So far though, they haven't done any damage other than leaving smeary marks on the screen which clean off fine.

[​IMG]

8. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
  9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I think cats see more in plasma than we do. My 2 are avid watchers, completely indiscriminate too. Mine is mounted above a shelf/cabinet, though nominally wall mounted, so they could, if they wanted, walk right up to it, they never have, and we've had a plasma there, various, for about 3 1/2 years. I think you have no risk of plasma damage unless the cats are big enough to kill you, so why worry?

10. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Try a big dog, that seems to work well traditionally

11. DamienTC

DamienTC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the excellent replies all of you. Now I feel a bit on the safer side, and we'll probably buy the cats soon.

If they're so crazy about watching the tv, as you say, maybe I'm not doomed to watch my italian horror and zombie-flicks alone anymore...