1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catching Up Before Purchase

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nheather, Mar 18, 2005.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,189
    At the beginning of this year there was a lot of discussion about the proposed Sky HD offering and possible support from Pany PW7 and NEC VR5.

I've had a look over recent posts and mention of the VR5 is infrequent.

The PW7 and VR5 are still top of my list, I don't want to move to HD yet (prefer to wait 5 years until it becomes more stable), but at the same time I'd rather buy a panel that will support the Sky HD to some degree.

When I last looked into this:

(i) PW7 can't/won't support Sky HD

(ii) It looks like the VR5 will suppport it, although there were some desenters.

Is this still the case?

If the VR5 does support Sky HD are there any constraints that I should be aware of?

I read somewhere that not only must the panel support the format it must also have the capability to decrypt the HD signals, since most HD sources will be encrypted - is this HDCP compliance - does the VR5 support it?

Thanks for any advice - I have tried to read the threads before posting but wasn't able to find anything that really clarified or explained things for me.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Rather than retype I'll just refer you to this post .