• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Catalyst keeps changing dual monitor resolution

Jeff D

Established Member
I have just finished building my HTPC which includes a Sapphire Radeon HD 4670 graphics card running under Vista Home Premium with 8.8 Catalyst driver & Control Centre. This is connected via HDMI/DVI to my projector and via component to my plasma (no DVI/HDMI). I have set this up to dual clone monitors as I use the plasma for TV and occasional DVDs and the projector for DVDs and Bluray playback. I don't actually use them at the same time but I need to access VMC from both. So I can't set them up as an extended desktop with different resolutions. The projectors native res is 1280x720p which the plasma doesn't support. They both support 1920x1080i (1080p the projector also). I have found that [email protected] works well on both with full screen (and a bit of overscan adjustment on the plasma).
The problem is that when I use the projector and then put the computer to S3 sleep when I'm finished, the next time I switch it on with just the plasma, the screen reports that it is 'out of frequency'. So I have to switch on the projector to check the res to find that it has defaulted to single monitor on the projector default of 1280x720. Resetting it again is a real pain!
I have the option to connect the plasma via VGA but I don't think this helps and it would mean chasing the VGA into the wall (component is already there). I could also connect both via component as I have a matrix switcher but this seems a shame when I could have better quality HDMI on the projector.
Does anybody know how I can tell the Control Centre to lock the configuration or is there a better setup I can use? I am sure there are many home cinema PC setups similar to mine so someone ought to have solved this.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom