1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalyst 3.2s released. Anyone tried them yet?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kramer, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As in title.

Available now here .

Giving them a spin over the weekend (loads of hardawre to play with first :p ).

Will report back soon.

:smashin:

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I have heard the 3.1 was not good so stayed with 3.0. Would be interested in your feedback

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard that too, but personally, I've never had one bit of trouble with the 3.1s. 100% stable in every respect.

Have installed the 3.2s - some "viewing" later tonight. Will post back

;)

4. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yep, installed (9700 Pro, DX9, WinXP).

I had stuttering in three games (Rallisport Challenge, MOHAA and a little bit in Hitman 2) with the Cat 3.1's unless I took H/W acceleration down a notch. All work fine now with H/W accel at the max setting. They've alleviated the source of the problem which was apparently 2D/desktop ops continuing to run simultaneously with the 3D HAL.

Peformance seems to up across the board. 3Dm03 is up about 150-200 pts for me and Rallisport Challenge is now fluid w/4xFSAA and 16xAF @1280x1024x32 (which isn't wasn't quite under the 3.1's). Not sure about OGL yet. They've done something on the 2D side as well - can't quite put my finger on it though. It's definitely not a RAMDAC tweak because the same apparent clarity improvement can be seen using the TMDS/DVI output. I suspect it's just a default gamma adjustment or something else I'm overlooking...

Going to try the R350 hack next, although no doubt they'll migrate the PS/VS tweaks over to the Cat 3.3s for the R300 path once the 9800/9600 hype has died down.

Good drivers. :smashin:

MuFu.

5. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I'm currently running the 3.2's on my Sapphire r9500 w/9800 Softmod
    They are better all-round, without a doubt. no more stuttering and performance has much improved (due mostly to the r350 hack, so yes - that hack does work!). They are DEFINATLY recommended.

6. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it still necessary to edit the registry to eradicate the ATI previous driver installation before upgrading or can I just rely on Add/Remove?

BTW 9800 softmod? Is this new? I have something called R9700 softmod, ie RivaTuner20RC122.exe, though I haven't tried it yet.

7. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yes its new, yes you really HAVE TO try the mod and yes, the uninstall wizard works perfectly (remember this isnt nvidia we are talking about lol)

8. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where can I find the mod James?