Cataloguing my collection

Since moving away from Plex back to discs I've missed the ability to quickly search my collection for a specific actor or length of film etc. So I'm hoping that some of you can recommend a service that will fill this need. I don't mind a small one of payment for software if it's worth it.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Since moving away from Plex back to discs I've missed the ability to quickly search my collection for a specific actor or length of film etc. So I'm hoping that some of you can recommend a service that will fill this need. I don't mind a small one of payment for software if it's worth it.
Dependant on exactly what criteria you want to be able to filter your collection by, I use two free options:

For owned media - I use the Bluray.com app: it’s great to catalogue your discs and other media collection but it’s criteria are disc rather than movie focussed - it has run-time it no actor/director-type search functions. It’s superb though and handy to keep track on what’s been watched, how many from each studio/distributor, etc

For films themselves - I just use Letterboxd. You can add in any filters you want to each film entry and each film has all key creative personnel linked to it..... but in terms of cataloguing functionality it’s fairly basic. It has a stats page that allows to keep track of what films you’ve watched from each country, primary language, etc and you can instantly cross-reference back across your collection for each. But that’s about it.

I don’t know if there’s one that is a combination of the two but it really depends on what exact functionality you want. Give these two a try - they’re both free - but I’m sure others here will offer alternatives such as DVDProfiler, etc.

Last edited:

Dependant in exactly what criteria you want to be able to filter your collection by, I use two free options:

For owned media - I use the Bluray.com app: it’s great to catalogue your discs and other media collection but it’s criteria are disc rather than movie focussed - it has run-time it no actor/director-type search functions. It’s superb though and handy to keep track on what’s been watched, how many from each studio/distributor, etc

For films themselves - I just use Letterboxd. You can add in any filters you want to each film entry and each film has all key creative personnel linked to it..... but in terms of cataloguing functionality it’s fairly basic. It has a stats page that allows to keep track of what films you’ve watched from each country, primary language, etc and you can instantly cross-reference back across your collection for each. But that’s about it.

I don’t know if there’s one that is a combination of the two but it really depends on what exact functionality you want. Give these two a try - they’re both free - but I’m sure others here will offer alternatives such as DVDProfiler, etc.
Thanks, I've just had a quick play with the blu-ray.com app and it seems pretty good. Although nice to have, I could live without the ability to search for an actor/director as the rest is pretty good. Genre and runtime are the most important and I like that it has aspect ratios listed. I'll try to have a look at DVDprofiler later to see how it compares. Thanks again.

Coz22998

Distinguished Member
Thanks, I've just had a quick play with the blu-ray.com app and it seems pretty good. Although nice to have, I could live without the ability to search for an actor/director as the rest is pretty good. Genre and runtime are the most important and I like that it has aspect ratios listed. I'll try to have a look at DVDprofiler later to see how it compares. Thanks again.
Glad to hopefully have helped!!!

The best part of the bluray app is the watched/not watched filter- I know exactly where my ‘to watch’ pile is at and when it comes to choosing a film, my choice suddenly gets a lot more focussed!!!

That and the ability to include not just my blu collection but iTunes and even Movies Anywhere digital collections.

Good luck fella :smashin:

Last edited:

movieman1866

I've never even considered using any sort of online service for cataloguing. Ever since the days of laserdiscs I've kept a spreadsheet of all my movies. I've put it all the options I want to search by, actor, director, run time, last watched, 3D etc. The hardest part for me is actually finding the disc once I've decided what I want to watch. I've really got to sort out the shelves, there's been a couple of times recently where I've ended up watching something different as I couldn't find my first choice. That's just given me an idea, I could number my shelves and add that to the spreadsheet.

I've never even considered using any sort of online service for cataloguing. Ever since the days of laserdiscs I've kept a spreadsheet of all my movies. I've put it all the options I want to search by, actor, director, run time, last watched, 3D etc. The hardest part for me is actually finding the disc once I've decided what I want to watch. I've really got to sort out the shelves, there's been a couple of times recently where I've ended up watching something different as I couldn't find my first choice. That's just given me an idea, I could number my shelves and add that to the spreadsheet.
Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I'm willing to type in the title if there's no barcode available but there's not a chance in hell I'd be typing everything into a spreadsheet.

I've now tried DVDprofiler and for my needs at least, Blu-Ray.com seems to be the better of the two. I'd welcome any other suggestions from anyone who uses something different otherwise I'll start to add my library to Blu-Ray.Com tomorrow.

movieman1866

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I'm willing to type in the title if there's no barcode available but there's not a chance in hell I'd be typing everything into a spreadsheet.
It would be a lot of work if starting from scratch with a large collection. As I started the Blu ray spreadsheet with just a couple of titles years ago and add to it every time I buy a new title it's easy to keep it up to date. Starting now with over 700 titles I'd probably look for something else as you have done.

imnotrich

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Are you after PC software or a Mobile app?

DVDProfiler on the PC beats all the others hands down, the mobile app syncs to the desktop software and is good for browsing, but cut down and limited in comparison the the desktop software.

Are you after PC software or a Mobile app?
Both would be nice but 90% of my usage would be on mobile (Android)
DVDProfiler on the PC beats all the others hands down, the mobile app syncs to the desktop software and is good for browsing, but cut down and limited in comparison the the desktop software.
That's interesting, I tried DVDProfiler on my phone last night and wasn't that impressed after trying the Blu-Ray.com app but wasn't aware that there was a better desktop application. I'll have another look at it.

AJohnston

That's interesting, I tried DVDProfiler on my phone last night and wasn't that impressed after trying the Blu-Ray.com app but wasn't aware that there was a better desktop application. I'll have another look at it.

Try My Movies Pro it works on (and syncs between) PC Android and IOS. I've used DVDProfiler in the past but this way better

Snake79

My Movies Pro is what I use. Very detailed catalogue system, just scan the barcode and it syncs on all devices. There are a small number of titles that are not listed however you can create your own entrires and add as much detail as you want.

There are many options for filtering and sorting and you can output lists in text/pdf formats I believe.

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

Tried DVDProfiler years ago but it was too much like hard work.

The Blu-ray.com app works perfectly for me.

I think I've found my winner in My movies pro. Seems to tick all the right boxes whilst being easy to use. Thanks everybody.

the hoff

CLZ Movies is another decent app worth a look, I've only been using it for a couple of months but seems to work well for £12/year...I'm using the Android version and they also seem to have good customer support too

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
The hardest part for me is actually finding the disc once I've decided what I want to watch. I've really got to sort out the shelves, there's been a couple of times recently where I've ended up watching something different as I couldn't find my first choice.
That's nothing. How many times have people bought a film twice because they have forgotten they already own it. Not me thats for sure :blush:

That's nothing. How many times have people bought a film twice because they have forgotten they already own it. Not me thats for sure :blush:
That's one of the main reasons why I wanted a catalogue :rotfl:

The multi scan feature on the My Movies app is brilliant, doesn't matter if the barcode is sideways or upside down, it gets scanned instantly and added to your library in one batch :smashin:

Snake79

The opposite can also be true, believing you have a film when you don't. When I finished adding all my movies I thought I was missing Ip Man 2. I searched eveywhere for it but thought I had lost it or gave it to someone to watch but never got it back. I have Ip Man 1 & 3 on blu-ray and was certain I had number 2. It turns out I had watched it as a rental and never actually owned the blu-ray. :facepalm:

PascalP

I tested Blu-ray.com app as well but ended up with CLZ Moviez app, small fee but works great.
Also works fine for LaserDiscs, DVD, UHD etc.

Iqbal

DVD profiler is also worth a look