Cat6a of Cat7 install on full house Renovation

BIONIC MAN

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After some advice on what cable I should look at installing, Cat6a of Cat7 within the house. The house has been stripped back to just a shell therefore running cables will not be an issue. Looking to future proof so thinking Cat7 :)

• Install 2 x Cat7 runs to each of the main room within the house I/e walls and stud walls to a faceplate, which ones should I be looking at?
  • For now use the patch Cat6a cables I already have at present from wall to TV, consoles etc.

Any advice for be great also best place to purchase all what I would require as on a budget.

:D

I would stick with CAT6 - there is no real advantage and a load of potential disadvantages of CAT7 for a typical residential installation.

Data network - long cables should all be non-CCA/CCS, solid copper, unshielded, CAT6 and only use stranded patch cables for short runs.

If you plan to run HDMI over any CAT cables they should be non-CCA/CCS, solid copper, unshielded, CAT6 with no unnecessary breaks in the cable run.

Throw lots of cable at the building - it is relatively inexpensive for 100m reels and way less expensive than having to ever run a new cable.

Joe

PS Allowing for inflation Steve is now the £35,000,000 man :)

Last edited:
I would stick with CAT6 - there is no real advantage and a load of potential disadvantages of CAT7 for a typical residential installation.

Data network - long cables should all be non-CCA/CCS, solid copper, unshielded, CAT6 and only use stranded patch cables for short runs.

If you plan to run HDMI over any CAT cables they should be non-CCA/CCS, solid copper, unshielded, CAT6 with no unnecessary breaks in the cable run.

Throw lots of cable at the building - it is relatively inexpensive for 100m reels and way less expensive than having to ever run a new cable.

Joe

PS Allowing for inflation Steve is now the £35,000,000 man :)

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the above reply,

Looking to run 2 x Cat6 runs to most rooms or will Cat6a be the better option?

Where would the best be to make purchase from, also what faceplace should I look to use?

Like you comment re Steve
Thanks

We usually supply/install either of the following - both are available in multiple colours which can be handy when planning out a system.

Joe

Just doing a similar job myself for a house I've just moved into. Gone for cat6a in the end to future proof things. Went for U/FTP cable in the end (foil screen on each twisted pair only), mainly as that was what Cable Monkey had at a decent price and it had less shielding than their other options:
£167 for 305m.

Also picked up cat6a module faceplates and a matching ConnectX cat6a patch panel too. The cable is a spot fatter than cat5e or cat6, and the foil shielding on each pair isn't too bad to work with.

I know cat6 is supposed to be rated for 10Gigabit for runs up to 50m, but the difference in price for cat6a wasn't much. Figured it would be beneficial in case any runs get a bit close to any mains cables and who knows what comes along in the future. That said, I have no 10Gbe network switch of network cards, so I certainly won't be full speed for a few years yet!

Thanks for the above advise,

Looking to install 2 x cable runs to most rooms in house therefore what wall faceplates should I look to use?

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom