Cat5e UTP cable not working properly

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by CharlesZA, Aug 12, 2013.

1. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. For the first time in about 25 days I turned on my access point on the other side of my house to use the wifi there. It's connected via cable to my router/dsl modem. The activity lights on the back of both aren't blinking. I tried other devices in those ports with a different cable and the port worked. I used an rj45 tester on both ends and there were no problems.

Any advice would be really appreciated

2. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    Does the AP work if you plug it into the router (using the same ports) with a different cable? If so it seems likely that the original cable is suspect.

If you plug in a laptop to the cable at the "far" end (using it as a wired Ethernet connection) does your laptop connect to the router successfully?

Is the original cable a solid core or stranded cable with DIY crimped ends? If so are you absolutely sure it is wired correctly (using a known wiring scheme) with the correct plugs for that type of cable?

3. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I got an AV guy to do it 2 months ago. I don't understand. It used to work perfectly. This is what it says on the cable: "LCS CATEGORY UTP 24AWG CAT5E CABLE 4PR TIA/EIA 0003M". I brought my AP to this side of the house and plugged it in with a short cable and it worked perfectly.

This appears to be wired using T568A. My TV is connected using this cable and connector and it works perfectly. Why would it stop working?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Most likely the cable has been damaged, though strange that it tests out ok ? What tester did you use ?

5. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This one:
    [​IMG]

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    These are continuity testers and not always reliable for network traffic, though they usually are to be fair.

7. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'm going to redo the cable run. What's the maximum you can bend (in degrees) a cat6 and a cat5e cable? Does it vary if it's FTP or UTP? My cable goes out a hole in a wall (to outside) then goes up a wall then it goes through a conduit on the roof when it gets to the top of the wall to the other side of the house. On the other side it's in a conduit for most of the way down the wall. Both ends don't get much sun. Should I put a jacket on the exposed parts?

8. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +642
    (

Use external grade cable (which has a thicker external jacket that is UV resistant) and ideally keep it in conduit for all the external run. If you clip the cable you risk pinching it which can damage or degrade the cable performance. In terms of bend radius, in the absence of an installation specification or data sheet from the cable manufacturer, then the most quoted rule of thumb is to stick to 4x the external diameter of the cable.

9. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Seems like I'm going to have to get a cable jacket. Can't seem to find outdoor cable anywhere in my country. Hmm. I'm going to have to make another route. There are at least one or two sharp turns. I'm never using that cable guy again

10. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. What on earth am I going to do where it comes down the wall in a conduit and comes through a hole in the wall. That's like 90 degrees.

11. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found some cables. PVC or PE cable jacket? How does this look? Is it good quality? How long would it last?
    What is the ripcord? That string you pull back to expose more cable? Is Linkbasic good quality? Would you suggest something else instead?

12. CharlesZA

CharlesZA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mean to be rude but I need to chose a cable to buy soon.