Cat5e Patch Cables, Where ?

Meridius

Hi all

I am after some good quality Cat5e patch cables as I have bought 2 and both of them have been bad quality. I am not to sure what good patch cables you can get that are built to the Cat5e spec as there seems to be many companies' ripping people of with poor twisted none shielded none copper cables.

any help would be great

thanks

mickevh

Distinguished Member
This might sound "obvious" but UTP cables aren't shielded - the "U" means Unshielded, shielded UTP (there's an oxymoron) is something you kind of have to "go out of your way" to procure and it only "works" properly if the equipment (or patchbays) you connect it to can earth the shields - much doesn't.

"Ordinary" UTP is more than good enough for most equipment hookup purposes.

You are right that there's some real rip off merchants out there that sell rubbish under terms like "catX equivalent" and "catX tested" or use made up "cats" like cat6e of cat5a (neither exist) and other BS to disguise the fact that they are knocking out junk that isn't to spec, often Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA) which isn't allowed by the "cat" standards.

Belkin, Excel, are names that spring to my mind, but there are plenty of others. You might be better advised to go to a more reputable supplier such as RS, CPC, BlackBox, BettaBox, CableMonkey (to name but a few) which won't supply crap instead of wading through Amazon and eBay.

Rather than us suggesting stuff, you might turn the discussion on it's head and post some links to products that interest you and see why the professional cable monkeys in these parts think of them.

mushii

Distinguished Member
Just buy patch cables from Comms Express or Broadband Buyer, never had a problem with either, must have bought thousands of patch cables from them over the years.

Meridius

cheers all, I used to buy Belkin but a lot of places seem not to sell it or out of stock

Last edited:

Meridius

Just buy patch cables from Comms Express or Broadband Buyer, never had a problem with either, must have bought thousands of patch cables from them over the years.
I bought a lot of cables from Broadband Buyer in the past but they don't seem to sell Belkin cables anymore and seem to sell a lot of EssCable or connectix which i have never heard of.

a 10m is about £3.50 and just seems very very cheap for what it is

the Connectix is the only one that states it uses pure copper cores wheres the Esscable does not.

Last edited:

mushii

Distinguished Member
I think that you are over thinking this. They are patch cables and ESS is a reputable brand.

mushii

Distinguished Member
If you are used to paying Belkin prices, then you have probably been significantly overpaying. £3.50 for a 10m patch cable is about right, slightly on the high side but right sort of ballpark.

oneman

If you are used to paying Belkin prices, then you have probably been significantly overpaying. £3.50 for a 10m patch cable is about right, slightly on the high side but right sort of ballpark.
They are a bit on the pricy side but if you are buying one or two then probably not an issue, if you are doing a whole house's worth then there are cheaper options.

Many years ago our local dixons or pc world or whatever was closing down and they were selling off belkin cables for 50p regardless of length. Basically bought out all the stock, still have spare left over today. Good cable but not the most flexible.

Meridius

seems these are full copper and not coated, I am surprised that 10m full copper is this cheap. last time i bought cat5e years back it was over £10 for such lengths. it must be cheap as hell to make this stuff now, unless there trying to charge more for cat6 or cat7

Maverick567

seems these are full copper and not coated, I am surprised that 10m full copper is this cheap. last time i bought cat5e years back it was over £10 for such lengths. it must be cheap as hell to make this stuff now, unless there trying to charge more for cat6 or cat7

For what it’s worth I’ve used Kenable in the past and they were easy to deal with and the quality of their products was good.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom