Cat5e or Cat6 for HD to HDMI

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bigjoe7, Jul 4, 2015.

1. bigjoe7

bigjoe7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

Currently in the process of a house extension. My Aim is to supply 4 new TV areas with the ability of receiving Sky HD and freeview. This is something that I have already done before 7 years ago and the results were ok. I say ok because the feed to the TV did appear to blank out quite abit.

I have been using the following to allow SKY HD and XBMC to be broadcast to my solitary HD TV connected through a Onkyo AMP.

http://www.cypeurope.com/store/stor...RX/HDMI-over-CAT5e6-Receiver-with-IR-Receiver

so 2 parts

I plan to follow again with the same process by running 3 x cat5e CAS cables to the TV end and COAX PF100 also for Freeview etc per TV. 2cat5e for the HDMI / IR transfer and a 3rd cat5e cable for the Smart TV hookup to the internet.

Do I need to consider any more cables?

I have an abundance of cat5e cable from work. I have reels of the stuff.

So firstly is this correct? Has the technology moved on?

Secondly Would I be better off discarding the Cat5e it and stumping up the costs for Cat6 cable. Long term am i better off doing this and will this give me more flexibility with the advent of 4k?

2nd question.

For each TV to receive SKY HD do I need to ask Sky for 4 Multiroom boxs? Or can the transmissions be split simultaneously from one feed?

Instead of utilising a HDMI over cat5e is there a matrix or more modular box that can be used to cut down on having a tiny black box at the end of the TV end.

Apologies if this type of question has been repeated

Cheers

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I would go Cat6 but use a HdBaseT Single Cat6 4x4 Matrix.

These would have receivers but they are small enough to fit behind the TV

If you want the ability to have 4 diffrent SKy channels on any of the TVs then you would need 4 sky boxes, or run Coax satellite from the dish to each location and have a Sky box next to each TV