Question Cat5e Cable Help Needed Pls

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Alexander14, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Alexander14

Alexander14
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,

We recently built a new home and the builder wired the whole house with cat5e jacks in each room. I recently decided to try and hard wire my laptop from one of the jacks on one end, and connecting the other raw end of the cable directly to my router in the basement. The indicator light never lit up and the connection was never made.

After looking at diagrams on how to wire cat5e cables I came across a picture that shows the color order for straight thru wiring of a cat5e cable (beginning with o O on the left). I looked at the cables that were wired by my builder, and the color order is exactly the opposite of the diagram I saw online. I also looked at an Ethernet cord that was connected directly to my router (and working) and the colors were the same as the diagram.

Is it possible my builder screwed up and wired the cables wrong? Or is there some reason they would wire it (apparently backwards). Does the wiring of the cable matter if it's going thru a wall plate or a switch before it gets to the router? Thanks for any insight here, I'm truly stumped. The site I found with the diagram is here: How to Make an Ethernet Cable - Cat5, RJ45 Connectors - VSAT Installation Training

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Best thing to do is to get a cable tester or borrow one . 568b is the usual network connection method