1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat5 Wireless Transmission

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SBradley, Dec 18, 2003.

1. SBradley

SBradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some guidance regarding transmission of a non-data signal across Cat5 wiring.

I am in a building with no structured cabling and yet I want to send AV content via Cat5 converters (I have VGA-Cat5 and Video to Cat5 converters).

Is there any way on earth that I can go 'wireless' with such a signal at relatively low cost? I do not mean using a wireless network that sends packets of data, I want to use the Cat5 as a raw wire for sending a non-data signal BUT rather than trailing a Cat5 wire through rooms I want to broadcast the signal from the converters.

I hope I am misguided and that its really rather easy but if anyone could help with this I would be very thankfull.

Regards

SBradley

2. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    If I understand your idea correctly then I'm afraid it won't work.

The CAT-5 video convertors you have are basically just impedance convertors allowing you to send 75 Ohm based signals down a 110 Ohm twisted pair cable without gross impedance missmatch.

The CAT-5 transmitters you mention will expect to see a standard digital eithernet signal not analogue video! Trying it will certainly not work and will possibly damage the AV source and/or the transmitters.

3. SBradley

SBradley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. Pretty much as I expected. I may have to go across to direct broadcast of the av signal and forget about Cat5 - or re-wire the building of course!