CAT5 selection help!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by skydivemacca, Feb 5, 2009.

1. skydivemacca

skydivemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi all...

Just trying to sort out ordering cable for the new set up, but am finding the choices a little confusing...

I'm going to run 2 runs of cat 5's from the 'hub' to the wall controls in all 4 zones (1 to use, 1 for future expansion)

2 runs (? do i need two for two ports in the same box, or will it run off one?) of cat 5 to each room for data to one skirt mounted box

2 runs of cat 5 and 1 run of coax to a wall plate in each room with a TV (except sitting room and master suite)

2 runs of cat 5 to the ceiling in the sitting room for future expansion to a projector (long, long way away yet)

The TV in the sitting room will be mounted on the wall behind the hub cupboard, so will use a brush plate behind the TV mount to feed the cables through (HDMI, Scart, DVI etc). Then a lower level brush plate to feed cables to the sub.

I was also thinking of running an HDMI cable from the hub room to the master suite and have seen a 30m cable at screw fix. Will this actually work? I thought that length would be too long for HDMI?

Anyhow, the reason for the post, what kind of cat5 should i be using? I'm getting all confused about screened and twisted etc.

Will a box of this Cat 5E Cable 305m Grey Boxed - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys do? Or do i need a more expensive type of cable? Does anyone know of cheaper places to buy it?

I know this is a very open ended question, but does anyone have a rough idea of how much cable i'll need to buy to achieve the above in an average sized 4 bed house?

Thanks all :thumbsup:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Aslong as its decent Cat5e 350 Mhz UTP infrastructure cable you should be fine there are cheaper places than screwfix if you want cheap cable. I would get 2 305 boxes makes running pairs a lot easier....

I would trust a 30m Cable from screwfix... not without testing it first.

Regrading boxes using standard euro mods you can fit 2 modules in a UK single gang and 4 in a double if you use triplexed wall plates these a double euro mod and fill a single UK box so best to run 2 cat5 for TV with coax to double box and 2 cat5 for Data/phone to UK single These kits include all the headend hardware and in room outlets 8 Zone Home Networking Kit (UK) just add back boxes and face plates to suit (Chrome, stainless brass etc)

Just noticed your running 2 cat5 to wall controls??? What do you mean by this?

3. skydivemacca

skydivemacca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I need 1 run for the Opus 300 system i plan to use, but someone mentioned that i should run to lengths of cat 5 to the wall outlet incase i want to upgrade systems in the future?

The only reason I suggest screwfix is because i have a good friend who works there and has offered to help me with his staff discount :thumbsup:

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    In that case screwfix is fine, you may also want to run speaker cable from the wall box(ideally the Rack) to the speaker locations this means you could use other systems or Opus 300 without the Active speakers (cheaper) if you run from the rack via wall box to speaker locations with 2 cat5 and speaker cable you use Opus 300/500/600 or Nuvo E6G/Simplese which gives you more flexibilty and offers higher performance

The second cat5 isnt really of much benefit without the speaker cable