1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAT5 Component Cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mince bigalow, Jan 16, 2005.

1. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I would be very concerned about the inter-wire capacitance of this cable, because the effect would be the deterioration of high-frequency signals, leading to a "wooly" picture. I suppose if you have time on your hands, you could give it a try - it won't cost very much.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I would have reservations due to the capacitance of the cable and the fact that there is no shielding of any kind. But hey if it works......

4. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice guys. So how come CAT5 is great for speaker cable but not for video cables then? And also how does capcitance affect the quality? Also how exactly does cable have capacitance? I remember from A Level Physics that capacitors store charge and then release it over a period of time. How does that relate to just normal cable?

Thanks

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Normal CAT5/LAN cable is unshielded, but there are in fact two types: UTP (unshielded twisted pair) and STP (shielded twisted pair).

However a true coaxial cable with 75 Ohm impedance would be my first choice for video cabling. For DIY see this thread.

BTW: Any cables is great as speaker cable IMHO, given you compare same diameter and material.

Wires running parallel to each other (or any other kind of conductor, even the tracks on a PCB) represent a capacitance, albeit a very small one.
    This is the same effect as used for the electronic component called capacitor; an electrolyt capacitor is nothing but two conductors, seperated by an isolator, furled / coiled up (?) in a small housing.

6. mince bigalow

mince bigalow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, so you mean that the signal can creep across the wires and spoil it? That makes sense.

Thanks for the info :)