Cat poo

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
I've never had a cat poo on my lawn. Cat's don't like pooing where they can't cover it up. I do wonder if people aren't just confusing fox poos with cat poo.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Well the key thing there is that animals like pigeons and foxes are completely wild, so we have no control over them. Whereas cats and dogs can be controlled, to a greater or lesser degree by their owners.
There are some places in the world where cat owners aren't allowed to let their animals roam freely in an urban environment. That is a reasonable policy, IMO.
Dogs are always accompanied when walking about, and their owners pick up the mess.
I really don't think you can train a cat not to leave the garden or to not poo anywhere else. Cats do whatever the hell they want. :D

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Cats aren't pointless. They provide company and love for many many people.
I said mostly pointless, for the fact that they will stay out most of the time, return home to feed and sleep, and then disappear again. Our cat just turned one and used to love sleeping on our laps, now he is older and bigger, he sleeps in his bed, goes out all night and a lot of the day and is only really in to eat. He does love a stroke and is really good with the kids (they carry him around like a doll :D ), but largely would rather just be out and about.

Xenomorph

Distinguished Member
I really don't think you can train a cat not to leave the garden or to not poo anywhere else. Cats do whatever the hell they want. :D

That's true, but it doesn't change the fact that I'm not happy about them crapping in my garden.

Betsi

Am I the only one here who likes Wood Pigeons? They amuse me, they are so dim but kind of sweet and come right up to me if I'm on the deck. I chat to them and sound pretty dumb myself!

Back OT. Water does work, our garden can be like cat central and a couple go after the chicks we get every year so they get a gentle hose which deters them for a week or so.

Last edited:

Boo Radley75

Am I the only one here who likes Wood Pigeons? They amuse me, they are so dim but kind of sweet and come right up to me if I'm on the deck. I chat to them and sound pretty dumb myself!

Back OT. Water does work, our garden can be like cat central and a couple go after the chicks we get every year so they get a gentle hose which deters them for a week or so.
I get 4 different species of pigeons on my feeders - Wood pigeon, feral pigeon, stock dove and collared dove. Do find the wood and feral pigeons are getting a bit much now and worry the neighbours might start to moan about them. Don't even put out food they can reach but they just hang around on the ground eating the food that all the other birds drop. Get a red kite often flying about overhead but he prefers other scraps than actually killing his own food. Likewise, there are plenty of sparrowhawks in my town but none of them have taken the slightest interest in my garden.

Betsi

I get 4 different species of pigeons on my feeders - Wood pigeon, feral pigeon, stock dove and collared dove. Do find the wood and feral pigeons are getting a bit much now and worry the neighbours might start to moan about them. Don't even put out food they can reach but they just hang around on the ground eating the food that all the other birds drop. Get a red kite often flying about overhead but he prefers other scraps than actually killing his own food. Likewise, there are plenty of sparrowhawks in my town but none of them have taken the slightest interest in my garden.
Too many could be a problem, I agree. I also get a collared dove pair, they are gorgeous. They all make such lovely cooing noises, apart from breeding season when then do nothing but shag and fight!

I envy you your birds of prey, and we occasionally get one circling, not sure which type, but they haven't had one from us yet and I know I'd be upset, while understanding, if they did.

Claire00

I love wood pigeons but the ferrals chase them from the garden 😪

Betsi

Luckily we don't have the ferals, not even in town. We do have many many seagulls though. Some love them, so hate them. So noisy though through the night.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Luckily we don't have the ferals, not even in town. We do have many many seagulls though. Some love them, so hate them. So noisy though through the night.
We have ferals as well……..until the Police come and scoop them up and take them back to their parents.

its_all_Greek

Distinguished Member
I said mostly pointless, for the fact that they will stay out most of the time, return home to feed and sleep, and then disappear again. Our cat just turned one and used to love sleeping on our laps, now he is older and bigger, he sleeps in his bed, goes out all night and a lot of the day and is only really in to eat. He does love a stroke and is really good with the kids (they carry him around like a doll :D ), but largely would rather just be out and about.
You could be describing me in my late teens:rotfl:

shodan

Distinguished Member
S/he killed them? You sound proud of your staff.
Nope, didn't kill them. Didn't even hurt them, but he did put them off going in to the garden and teasing him.
And yes, I am very proud of him, he was a wonderful dog 👍🏻

Betsi

Nope, didn't kill them. Didn't even hurt them, but he did put them off going in to the garden and teasing him.
And yes, I am very proud of him, he was a wonderful dog 👍🏻
My apologies. It sounded like he'd caught one of them, which didn't sound as though it had ended well. He sounds as though he was quite the character.

finbaar

Before we had our dog, cats would come and crap in the garden - especially nice in the kids sand pit! However our working type terrier was sufficient deterrent and we haven't had any cat sh*t for 10 years now.
Luckily he hasn't caught a cat in the garden as it would be a difficult conversation with the owner taking them the carcass in a bag and it isn't something I want to do.
The best thing about this deterrent is it came free with the dog - I had nothing to do with it. He goes crazy in the presence of foxes (particularly foxes, his type was bred to take foxes to ground), cats, squirrels (not good, we have real squirrels here not the fat grey rats) and just about any other animal apart from dogs. He likes other dogs.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Anthem AVM 70 Review, EQing Your Home Cinema Sound System and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom