• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cat Flap in bifold doors?

mr starface

We are in the middle of building work for new kitchen diner and will be having bifold doors fitted.

Currently we have a catflap fitted on our French doors but these will be going

Has anyone fitted a catflap in bifold doors? Is this possible without affecting the folding up of the doors? Don't really want one in our front door or a hole in the wall.

Expecting it to cost a bit but as we need one will have to bite the bullet.

JimmyMac

Distinguished Member
Have it put into one of the glass panels, seen it in a couple of houses like that and doesn’t seem an issue

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Are they double glazed if so that could cause an issue as I believe the gap between the panes of glass is filled with argon gas and fitting a cat flap unless done by the door manufacturer would break the seal and condensation might occur?
You'll need a new glass pane manufactured with the correct hole cut out and sealed into it - anyone who tells you that it can be done by cutting a hole in afterwards is talking out their rear.

IronGiant

They will be tempered glass so you can't just cut a hole in it without it shattering, you have to have a new panel made up with the correct sized hole in it, with those edges also sealed.

I'm assuming the doors haven't been ordered yet so they can probably specify having a cat flap hole when they do so.

I assume the bulky side of the flap will be on the inside so if you can get doors that open inwards and put the flap in one of the end panels so that when the doors concertina the flap won't be trapped between two panels. If you have to have outward folding panels you'll need a low profile flap.

Last edited:

mr starface

Thanks all doors haven't been ordered yet so from sounds of it can hopefully order new panel with cat flap built in without affecting folding

ruffage

Distinguished Member
I think a hole in the wall would be easier and cheaper. You could carpet the tunnel through to dry their paws on entry. No back door?

mr starface

No back door as will havw the bifolds so only place for hole would be side of the house .... Will speak to the builders and see what they say

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Also just occurred to me we are getting integrated blinds in our bifolds which will complicate things further probably
I would say you have pretty much ruled out a cat flap in the door in that case. Through a wall is a possibility though.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Might end up looking like this?

ff_6051.jpg

mr starface

We had 2 cats but lost one last year:(

Almost 100% certain on wall solution now, seems only one available. At least I can waste more money on a smart catflapo_O

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member

mikeysthoughts

I got one of these as my Millie is a big beast, The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door for large cats & small dogs I ended up dismantling it and adding rubber grommets to the hinge as it was bloody noisy on opening and closing.
If you go through the wall you will need to line the tunnel as it will be deeper than a door. Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/SureFlap-Microchip-Tunnel-Extender-White/dp/B003HK9IIK
+1 for the sureflap, although I don't have the noise issue with ours.

Tempest

Distinguished Member
I hope you will take advantage and make the most of the design with some flair:

wall-entry-pet-door-medium-tan-aluminum-petsafe-with-telescoping-tunnel-white.jpg

Robbowal

Distinguished Member
don't get these old codgers to do the install they left my place in a right state
just look at the mess of that hole
hatton-garden-drill-hole_large.jpg

i mean you could literally fit a person through there;);)

IronGiant

The spanner in the works is they wanted integral blinds in the panes of glass.

Robbowal

Distinguished Member
then the only option is to have a panel to fit the flap in at the bottom of one of the door panes. possibly nearest the corner.
that way you can have the integral blinds and a safe cat flap.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom