Cat D Write Off Salvage Value

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by RizD, Sep 10, 2005.

1. RizD

RizD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had my VW Golf written off as a result of the recent tornado in Birmingham. The insurance co engineer called me and said I could get £4K for the car, or £3.3K if I wanted the car back. I questioned his value of the car, as I'd seen it for £5K on Auto trader. He then said he would need to speak to his manager about the quote. There would also be no categaory applied to the car.

He then called back in about 2 mins time and said he could offer £4.2K and if I wanted to keep the car I would get £3K back (£500 more), and it was also be a category d.

Is there a scientific method of determining the salvage value of the car, because I am surprised its buy back value has gone up from £700 to £1200 in seconds. Any other advice as I feel I am not getting the full value of the car & paying an excessive amount to buy it back.

2. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could look up the price in Parkers, or if you can persuade a dealer to show you the CAP black book, then you'll have a better idea of the 'book' value. I'm sure if you explained the problem to a dealer (particularly if you explain that you may be in the market for a new motor!) they may photocopy the relevant page from CAP.

This might give you a better bargaining point. Obviously, the insurance company will try to give you as little as they can get away with, so it's worth fighting for a more realistic price! You could also print off some examples of similar-aged vehicles from Autotrader: it can all help to build your case.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Would a 'written off' car attract higher insurance premiums.

4. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,028
    no, it wouldn't affect the insurance.

5. SeanT

SeanT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +368
    not if it's cat d, don't even have to tell them or take any action to put vehicle back on the road - mines been cat D since April and can hardly tell :)

6. johnb1

johnb1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does it make any difference to resale value and do i have to mention the fact if i'm not asked