Cat 6 to garden room and have wifi

bigvern123

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a TV/firestick in the garden out of wifi range.
I have ac power but powerline adapters dont seem to cut it.
I have ran a cat 6 cable from the broadband router to the room and this works 100% for the tv.

I want to get wifi in that room as well for my wifi phone / mates wifi phone etc. and also another wired connection for a laptop/xbox

what are my options?

Some of the wifi extenders have an ethernet port on; is this input or output ? I was thinking of getting an ethernet switch, running the wired devices into that including the cat6 cable and then patching the switch to the ethernet port on the wifi extender - would that work? (would I just need a single wifi extender?)

Hi

Do you have a spare router? If you do you and used that as an extender and also have three extra ports.

There is a thread on the forum on how to make the second router as an extender.

No, unfortunately not, I did see that thread thanks and useful info but as I dont have one I wondered if there was a clearer solution staring me in the face

You will need a Wireless Access Point.

There is a used one here for £30 with dual band AC2000 support. Includes 4 x 1Gb Ethernet as well (one will be used for uplink leaving 3 free)
Amazon product ASIN B01N47QKDQ

wow that looks like all I need, ! -
can you sanity check for me please?
I no longer need a switch
In my setup I have to set this device up in router mode? (unsure of this bit)
so with this I plug my router into one of the ports via the ethernet cable
I plug my other wired devices into one of the other ethernet ports
set up the device and the wifi clients connect
I then get from this one device, wired and wireless internet connections
All the internet traffic from the wired connections are transmitted and received over the ethernet cable (not wireless)
Thanks

As others have said, you need either a switch+AP as separate devices or a device that combines the functions of switch+AP in a single box, such as a "crippled" router as described in the aforementioned FAQ or a SOHO router that has an "AP Mode" (some call it "bridge mode.") Not all SOHO routers offer AP/bridge mode, but those that don't can all be made to function as such by following the procedure in the FAQ.

If you don't have an old router lying around, maybe ask around friends family and work colleagues and see if anyone has one they don't want and would give to you. Of course, that may not avail you the latest greatest Wi-Fi standards and/or the fastest wired ethernet rates, but at least it'll cost you nothing.

Last edited:
wow that looks like all I need, ! -
can you sanity check for me please?
I no longer need a switch
In my setup I have to set this device up in router mode? (unsure of this bit)
so with this I plug my router into one of the ports via the ethernet cable
I plug my other wired devices into one of the other ethernet ports
set up the device and the wifi clients connect
I then get from this one device, wired and wireless internet connections
All the internet traffic from the wired connections are transmitted and received over the ethernet cable (not wireless)
Thanks
I've not used that specific device but generally yes, that is how you set it up and yes the traffic from house to garden will be over Ethernet.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom