CAT 6 Cabling & Brushplates

1pudding1

I'll be routing CAT 6 cables around my new build house soon, for HDMI distribution and for networking. The cables for HDMI will be going to brushplates and terminated with RJ45 connectors. There will be more of these brushplates with 2 or 3 CAT 6 cables routed to them than TV's initially, and will provide some future proofing hopefully in case we move TV's around.

Question is, I dont want 2/3 CAT 6 cables hanging out of the wall indefinately, so what could I use to secure the cables behind the brush plate ready to grab in future if needed?

Also, what useful tools/tips/tricks could I use when routing CAT 6 cables around my house? I've got 2 305m reels of CAT 6 from Blackbox, and will be routing about 400m I expect of the stuff, so any help appreciated.

1pudding1

Oh, also planning on running twin WF100 co-ax to each TV position just in case for the future, seem worthwhile, or just leave it at 2 or 3 CAT 6 cables? The cable I'm planning on buying is from here at the bottom - WF100 Coaxial Cable as I need some of this anyway to run from the Sky dish to a couple of Sky boxes.

Definitely run the aerial cable as well, nothing more annoying if Sky goes down than finding you don't have a freeview backup available.

Fairly obvious but if running three cables use three boxes if at all possible and run together.

Make sure you don't run the Cat6 next to power cable, and leave plenty of slack.

1pudding1

Thanks, I just remember that I ordered some of this - FT9225-BK-10HL, Self-Adhesive Hook and Loop - Black Box So hopefullly that will stick to Foil Celotex boards long enough for me to route the cables and keep them i position until the batten and plasterboard go up.

What about securing cables in position for future use behind brush plates, are there any clever clips/brackets out there, or just some more of this velcro? Don't want to come to use the cables in a few years and find theyve dropped down behind the boards to the bottom of the wall. Maybe I'm being a bit sceptical and when I come to actually do all this there's no problem there to deal with?

Geps

If you need to fix cables to Celotex, use packer/shims like an large staple that can hold them in place.

I used them recently to hold some Cat6 cables in place to stop them getting damaged or caught inbetween the boards and battens.

1pudding1

Ronski

Oh, also planning on running twin WF100 co-ax to each TV position just in case for the future, seem worthwhile, or just leave it at 2 or 3 CAT 6 cables? The cable I'm planning on buying is from here at the bottom - WF100 Coaxial Cable as I need some of this anyway to run from the Sky dish to a couple of Sky boxes.

Use single WF100 cable, it's much easier to run. Run two (or more) cables from a convenient point (such as the loft) to every location you may have a TV/Tuner. With satellite you need a separate feed for each tuner, you can't split them like normal aerials. Then fit a multiswitch where all the cables meet (in the loft). You then run 4 cables from the multiswitch to a Quattro LNB on the dish, also a cable to a freeview aerial, and also an FM aerial if you want that as well. The multiswitch can supply as many satellite and TV aerial points as you have outputs on the multiswitch. It combines all the signals (Freeview/Satellite/FM) into the one cable. The other end you have a splitter socket, which splits the signals out to the appropriate connection.

I used just over 305 meters of WF100 doing my house, I've included a picture of my multiswitch, and some sockets that feed my TV server.

Edit: Actually I think the FM may be combined into the freeview aerial, not sure on that one as I never did it, but pretty sure I do get a FM radio signal out of the wall sockets.

Multiswitch.JPG Sockets.JPG

x3j3UKN

Use single WF100 cable, it's much easier to run. Run two (or more) cables from a convenient point (such as the loft) to every location you may have a TV/Tuner. With satellite you need a separate feed for each tuner, you can't split them like normal aerials. Then fit a multiswitch where all the cables meet (in the loft). You then run 4 cables from the multiswitch to a Quattro LNB on the dish, also a cable to a freeview aerial, and also an FM aerial if you want that as well. The multiswitch can supply as many satellite and TV aerial points as you have outputs on the multiswitch. It combines all the signals (Freeview/Satellite/FM) into the one cable. The other end you have a splitter socket, which splits the signals out to the appropriate connection.

I used just over 305 meters of WF100 doing my house, I've included a picture of my multiswitch, and some sockets that feed my TV server.

Edit: Actually I think the FM may be combined into the freeview aerial, not sure on that one as I never did it, but pretty sure I do get a FM radio signal out of the wall sockets.

View attachment 479818 View attachment 479819

That looks like what I want to do, how much does the multiswitch cost? And does it work with a sky minidish lnb?

Ronski

You'll need to change the LNB and may need a special one for the mini dish, I think the mini dish has a non standard fitting.

Prices and a load of info is available on the site I linked to, which is where I got mine from.

Edit. As it's a new build you're probably better off putting up a new dish, I used a 60 cm clear dish, pointed it in about the same direction as the old one and adjusted it using a cheap meter I purchased.

Last edited:

1pudding1

Thanks Geps, but I'm going for an airtight building and controlling vapour movement so penetrating the foil on the Celotex like that wont be good for that unfortunately.

Ronski, I dont want satellite signals and points in each room, as I'm taking 4 feeds from a Sky dish to the cental location, then the HDMI out from 2 SKy boxes to a HDBaseT matrix to distribute Sky to every room. The WF100 was going to be for Freeview/FreeSat, so would I just need 1 WF100 cable from a suitable aerial for that run to the central location, then one of the multiswitches you suggest with the output running to each TV position, so it would only need to be one input and 6-8 output, so a splitter basically??

Geps

If you use the short ones that don't go through the foam, then you'll still maintain air tightness.

burnrubber

View attachment 479818 View attachment 479819

Ronski, that is very tidy I am trying to do this in my new build they have run two coax from lounge to loft and also a 3rd coax for a return feed to the loft...not quite sure how to get TV to the other TV points in the bedrooms they have put in..

Any wiring diagrams or help, would be gratefully received..

Cheers

Ronski

Ronski, I dont want satellite signals and points in each room, as I'm taking 4 feeds from a Sky dish to the cental location, then the HDMI out from 2 SKy boxes to a HDBaseT matrix to distribute Sky to every room. The WF100 was going to be for Freeview/FreeSat, so would I just need 1 WF100 cable from a suitable aerial for that run to the central location, then one of the multiswitches you suggest with the output running to each TV position, so it would only need to be one input and 6-8 output, so a splitter basically??

Freesat is satellite, reading the above implies you think it comes via an aerial, that's only Freeview. If you only want to do Freeview then you will need an aerial splitter or possible an amplifier splitter. But with more TV's having Freesat built in it makes sense to distribute this around the house, especially if it's a new build, even if you don't need it someone else will in the future. I went OTT with my multiswitch, it's quite feasible to just disconnect the cables not being used and connect the ones that are when you move a TV/Sky box for instance, which is not something most people would do often.

If your running Freeview/Freesat to various rooms, then you might as well run the Sky boxes off the multiswitch as well. You will need one WF100 cable from an aerial to the multiswitch. You will need 4 WF100 cables from your satellite dish to your multiswitch. These five cables are the ones on the left hand side of my multiswitch. I've added a better picture so you can read the writing.

P1010098_zps0e618f4c.jpg

Then you will need one WF100 cable for each satellite socket, which will also have a Freeview aerial point and an FM/DAB aerial point.

The LNB (the bit in the middle of the dish that the cables connect to) needs to be a special type (Quattro) with most multiswitches. The reason being, and this is also why you cant just split a satellite cable is that there are four frequency bands used by satellite. A signal (different voltage) is sent from the tuner to tell the LNB which frequency band to send down the cable. What the multiswitch does is take in the four different frequencies, it doesn't tell the LNB which to send, each connection sends a certain range (hence the colour ports on the multiswitch) need to be matched to the correct connections on the LNB. Then when a tuner requests a certain range the multiswitch just switches the correct supply to that port.

Ronski, that is very tidy I am trying to do this in my new build they have run two coax from lounge to loft and also a 3rd coax for a return feed to the loft...not quite sure how to get TV to the other TV points in the bedrooms they have put in..

Any wiring diagrams or help, would be gratefully received..

Cheers

There are not really any diagrams that will help, the above should hopefully make sense for a satellite system, purely Freeview would use a splitter or splitter/amplifier and of course sockets that only have TV/Radio out. They must have run cables to all TV points from somewhere, I'm guessing they should go to the same place as the lounge cables in the loft.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom