cat 5

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sfrost, Feb 11, 2005.

1. sfrost

sfrost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi guys,

im new to this forum so be gentle.

just starting on the home cinema thing having purchased a sanyo z3 projector (really very very good for the price)

im now looking to run permament cabling. i would really dont want multiple cables trailing all over the place. is there a multi core cable that will do the job ( I DONT MIND MAKING ONE UP). i need component x2 , video x 1 .

or

can i make individual cables up out of cat 5.

cheers guys
    simon

2. BestGear

BestGear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi - and welcome to the forum!

The CAT5 you have will not really do for cabling to the projector, other than for a serial cable if you wish to play with PC control (and possibly flash the firmware) of the Z3...

You can use CAT5 for speaker cable if you wish - there are many threads covering that.

There are many suppliers fo cheap, good quality cables - I would make sure you dont get hooked by the glitz and "flat earth brigade" sales techniques - once you reach a certain quality of cable, its a law of diminishing returns - you may not see/hear any difference with your kit.

You can buy good quality cable from Maplin and terminate them yourself if you wish - there is an excellent "Shark" silvery white jacketed video cable they do - excellent with audio too...

To be honest, there are a few other suppliers, such as CPC who will do you excellent cables for next to nothing... I would buy from CPC and save the swearing and burnt fingers...

David

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Try electronic shops (those where you buy components like resistors etc.), they should have such cables.