Cat 5 Multiroom Advice/Help - Novice

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by bobbydavs, Feb 18, 2014.

1. bobbydavs

bobbydavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

We are buying a house which has had cat 5 installed with a socket point in every room.

I would like to play music through the cat 5 network using either a pc or something similar, from the central point and then output it from the sockets in several rooms through speakers/speaker. What is the easiest way of doing this and what will I need?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    What is your budget?

3. bobbydavs

bobbydavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im not sure, as I really dont have an idea what I will need to create this system. What are my opitions?

4. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Well CAT5 isn't able to link amp to speakers, it can't cope with the current, so each room will need a music streamer/amp/speaker set-up. That could be an integrated unit like a Sonos PLAY:5 at £350, then prices rise as you split the functions and get higher quality units.

You'll need some controllers but any smart-phone will do that and a music server/NAS but it sounds like you have a PC.

AVForums Multi Room discussion thread | AVForums

5. bobbydavs

bobbydavs
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks amcluesent, just looked at the sonus, think we would go with the smaller sonus play 1 speaker. Would I just link these up to the cat 5 wall socket through an ethernet cable? With regards to linking a pc up to the central cat 5 point, what would I need to transmit/ send the audio?

6. amcluesent

amcluesent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    Yep, PLAY:1 would be OK wired to wall port. The Sonos units index the music library on your PC, so you just need to make sure you have file sharing enabled and the PC has a network connection too. There's a DAC in each Sonos unit, so the files are streamed as data until decoded for play out.

There's a Sonos desktop app you can d/l which lets you control players etc.

7. bl0at3r

bl0at3r
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    I have Sonos - I love Sonos

You don't *need* to use the cat5 sockets in every room as Sonos creates it's own wireless mesh between devices. You just need to connect one device to the cat5 and as already advised, the music library on your PC, once shared, will be available to each player or zone.

Alternatively, as I do, you use an iThing as the source for the music and push that out to one or many Sonos devices. All my music fits on a 64gb iThing so I don't have to leave PC or laptop on all the time.

The Sonos app on the iThing or PC/mac will control it all, group devices together, setup playlists etc.