Cat 5 Hub

paul1967

Novice Member
I have now a load of cat5 cables in the cupboard that need connecting 24+ , when buying a hub what should I look for make etc , etc
thanks paul

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
I would suggest getting a Gigabit switch especially if you intend to have a lot of devices connected.
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/sear...ntStoreID=8&bolShowAll=true&intSubcatUID=1157
They are not cheap, but are worth the extra expense. Shifting Music and Video files is so quick compared to 100MBS switchs and as most motherboards seem to have Gigabit ports now it makes sense.
100MBS switches
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/sear...ntStoreID=8&bolShowAll=true&intSubcatUID=1156
Notice how cheap these are.

As for makes I would stick to LINKSYS, D-LINK, NETGEAR etc.

vex

Novice Member
Paul,

Do you mean Hubs as in the presentation points for the retruning cables or Hubs in terms of the electronics that share the computer network around the house?

Andys post deals with the latter, here are details for the former.

No real manufacturers to look out for.

Mainly it will depend on the space you have to fit the patch panels into. Will it take a small telecoms rack and patch panels which are 19inches wide.

Do you want it surface mounting or flush mounting?

For 19inch stuff, there are a wide range of people who make them, Hellarman Titon, Molex, RS Data, Ortronics to name just a couple.

For more domestic stuff, that will either surface or Fluch mount in a neat little cabinet, smaller width and height that 19" stuff, Cris Box and Home Network Sciences are the two leaders in the field of Home Networking.

HTH

Chris

paul1967

Novice Member
What I have done is put 2 cat5 cables into each room then fed them to a single point so to connect them all up to make a network , think i need a diagram to follow. hint hint

vex

Novice Member
Ok, Firstly you need a patch field.

These are a range of RJ45's mounted in a high density panel that will present the connections out to your faceplates. These are what I was describing.

Then you need the switch bit that Andy described, which is the electronics that will share your internet connection and PC's with each other.

HTH

Chris

Douglas Holub

Standard Member
I'm looking for an RJ45 hub that doesn't have any electronics and isn't a patch panel, just a dozen or so RJ45s wired up in parallel so that we can distribute our control cables. Does anybody make something like that?

mgx

Standard Member
You need a patch panel, get a 10' cabinet and panels from connectix/cable monkey/etc and put some cat5/cat6 panels in it, plus a telephone panel if you want - you can fit a gigabit switch in the cabinet. That's what I have done (one telephone panel, 2 cat6 panels for all the faceplate connections and a cat5e panel for miscellaneous connections, in an 8u cabinet and a bunch of 50cm patch leads - get different colours for different functions - I use green for telephony, grey for unknown passthrough, blue for gigabit LAN, black for other). I fitted a POE gigabit switch in easily as I use POE to drive a couple of 802.11n access points around my place. Sounds like you are new to this so please read up on structured wiring and how to use a punchdown tool :).

Douglas Holub

Standard Member
Here's a picture of a 7 position RJ45 8-pin control hub that my company makes. It sells for about $45 because our volumes are very low. I was wondering if there was something similar out there off the shelf for about half the price.

Attachments

vex

Novice Member
Douglas Holub said:
I'm looking for an RJ45 hub that doesn't have any electronics and isn't a patch panel, just a dozen or so RJ45s wired up in parallel so that we can distribute our control cables. Does anybody make something like that?
Have a chat with Mike at Aca Apex. He already does 1x4 bus panels for telephone distribution so customising it would not be difficult.

He is away on holiday at the moment, back in a couple of weeks time.

No connection other than me being a customer and I ask him to customise the odd bit for me.

HTH

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom