1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cat 5 FFRC speaker cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Stereo Steve, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Anyone tried Cat 5 as speaker cables? I currently use QED Silver but I'm moving and will need some longer lenghs (4-5 metres) as the amp is going on a side wall, not between the speakers. So, faced with that, I'm looking into making some from Cat 5. Looking on the TNT site, he seems to think they sound fantastic. I have found the correct Cat 5 cable from Maplin and it works out a great deal cheaper than half decent cables.

So, is it any good? I'm considering bi-amping so I'm wondering if I should do 2 lengths of 2 cables to each speaker (ie. a cat5 cable per speaker terminal) or just bi-wire as he does in the description. Alternatively I could use 3 cat5 cables per amp (6 per speaker) but this is getting a bit silly.

Any thoughts?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A mate tried it and it was no where near as nice as Ixos Gamma stuff so he ditched it.

3. banners

banners

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think it improved my system. It replaced Ecosse 2.3 cable. All my opinion of course!!

Cheers Steve

4. Eagerbeaver

Eagerbeaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ditched my Linn cable in favour of CAT 5. Much more open sound with greater presence and better control of base. I think the Linn cable was about £15/m.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So you reckon 1 cat5 cable per speaker terminal would be OK in a bi-wire system? Or, should I use more. The guy recommends 3, one each for the bass terminals and split the last one for the tweeter terminals. I ugess I would actually be over speccing in this case so it should be OK.

I'm keen to try it anyway, reckon it should be better than Silver Anniversary.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    partly it may be down to construstion he was using rotel RA01 and B&W DM602s3s with RCD02

7. pugster

pugster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im using 3 cat5 cables atm,stripped of outer sheath and braided, just gotten some smaller speakers (celestion f10's) and will be changing to 2xbraid as this seems to give a better sound stage on the smaller speakers (but sacrifices some bass) , start with 2 braids and just change to 3 if you dont have much low feq and split them 6+6 ,6-6

edit* oh yeah try and rob the wifes marigolds for your hands when stripping/braiding ,my fingers were a mess of open blisters after braiding 2x5mtr lengths , you may look like olive from 'on the buses ' for awhile but you will thank me for it latr.:laugh:

you can gett 100m of cat5e solid from http://www.scan.co.uk/products/ for £11.69+p+p

8. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I ran a section of Cat 5 cable for a while as a temporary measure in my system. It quickly got replaced by some Chord Odyssey bi-wire (£34/m), and that has subsequently been replaced with a run of Van Damme Pro Studio Bi-wire cable.

I wasn't ever impessed with the Cat 5 option, always sounded a bit 'odd'. I've also been running a nice set of Airloc terminated chord Carnival leads. They sound good, between an Arcam P75 and my JM Labs 710's.

9. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0