Cat 5 cabling, Sonos, ceiling speakers

Charlie1988

Novice Member
Hi there,

So this is a complicated one an any input is much appreciated as no where online can i find it. Images attached to give an idea.

I have cat 5 cabling in the building with my sky box, wifi router, hdmi extender (with IR) pushing the sky through cat 5 to the living room from a utility cupboard.

I have purchased a sonos beam which is in the living room and i am wanting to connect it to a sonos connect amp to get it in sync with some ceiling speakers. The sonos connect amp is located in the utility cupboard. So this is where it gets tricky, the sonos connect amp needs to be wired via ethernet/Cat 5 to the sound bar upstairs, however i only have one cat 5 socked in the living room which is occupied by the receiver from the cat 5 extender pushing the sky through the cat 5.

So my question is, if i was to add a splitter to the socket in the utility room where i can connect the sonos connect amp in one port then the other port would have the sky/extender in it running through one port on the wall, then upstairs in the living room i would have the same again a splitter with one port going to the hdmi receiver and into the hdmi port for the sky then the other one to the sonos beam?

Basically my shortened question is it possible to put multiple sources via a single cat 5 port such as receivers for hd and then a sonos beam?

thanks and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Cat 5 Image 2.png
    Cat 5 Image 2.png
    910.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Cat 5 IMage.png
    Cat 5 IMage.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • Splitters.jpg
    Splitters.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 20

AmericanAudio

AVForums Sponsor
Short answer is NO, you cant use a port doubler in this scenario as the sender for Sky does not convert the signal into a data signal the same as computer networks.

It is merely using the 8 cores of cable as a connection from one end to the other. And it does use all 8. So no spares.

I would also check if the wired requirement between the Sonos boxes true, it hasn't been in the past.

Charlie1988

Novice Member
Short answer is NO, you cant use a port doubler in this scenario as the sender for Sky does not convert the signal into a data signal the same as computer networks.

It is merely using the 8 cores of cable as a connection from one end to the other. And it does use all 8. So no spares.

I would also check if the wired requirement between the Sonos boxes true, it hasn't been in the past.

thanks for that, any solutions or is it a no no to be able to share the single port?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
SONOS - have you tested the BEAM to CONNECT AMP on a wireless connection?

HDBT - as AmericanAudio says HDBT ‘5-play’ solutions will deliver video/audio/control plus 10/100 over a single CAT cable, if you can stick to HD/1080p you can likely pick up an older unit at a decent price.

Joe

Charlie1988

Novice Member
SONOS - have you tested the BEAM to CONNECT AMP on a wireless connection?

HDBT - as AmericanAudio says HDBT ‘5-play’ solutions will deliver video/audio/control plus 10/100 over a single CAT cable, if you can stick to HD/1080p you can likely pick up an older unit at a decent price.

Joe
Hi Joe,

re the connect amp, i was about to go pick it up but then decided to look into it which it looks alot more complicated so i dont have it to test it.

Re the HDBT, couldnt see these online. The only one i saw had one cat 5 socket so woulnt work :(

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom